Not Your Basic New Year’s Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

With January just around the corner, it’s time to start thinking about aspects that you would like to add to your life and what you would like to eliminate. Most of our goals for the new year consist of health and wellness goals. Health is about the physical state of our bodies, like avoiding diseases. Whereas wellness refers to the overall balance of our bodies like the social, emotional, intellectual aspects. Health and wellness work together to make us feel good. It is important to have both health and wellness goals for the new year because one is not more important than the other. Be sure to pick a few accomplishable goals off of each list. 

The health goals focus a lot on getting your body moving more. There are tons of ways to incorporate more exercise into your life without having to go to the gym. These goals also emphasize the importance of eating a healthy diet and making that experience more fun and enjoyable for yourself. 

For health:

• Take the stairs
  • Listen to an audiobook or podcast while you work out
  • Try a new fruit or vegetable
  • Stop using your phone before bed
  • Drink more water
  • Sit less and stand more
  • Find a hobby that involves physical activity
  • Spend more time outside

The wellness goals focus more on your mental state. There are tons of little things throughout the day you can do to make yourself feel more organized and calm. By selecting a few things off of this list, you can pair them with the ones above to balance your body out. 

For wellness:

• Volunteer more
  • Sanitize your electronics weekly
  • Start journaling
  • Discover a new band or artist 
  • Read one news article a day
  • Start budgeting
  • Buy fresh flowers
  • Donate old clothes
  • Give at least one compliment a day
  • Make your bed every morning

It can be hard to set goals in the new year that are actually attainable, measurable and achievable. It is important that once you pick your goals for the new year, you grab a pen and journal or even the notes app on your phone. It is essential that you keep notes of the progress of your goals and reflect on how you are feeling on your journey.

My name is Julia Canellis. I am a journalism major at the University of Missouri with hopes of attending law school. I am from Chicago, Illinois and I love playing tennis and listening to podcasts in my free time. Email: Juliacanellis10@gmail.com