sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Not-So-Scary Halloween Movies on Netflix

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Halloween is right around the corner, so what better way to get into the holiday spirit than watching Halloween movies? If you aren’t a fan of horror or are too scared to try, here are some Netflix movies to watch that won’t leave you with nightmares.

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Perfect for Halloween or Christmas, Tim Burton’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas” is a classic movie that should be on everyone’s watchlist this month. This film offers sweet nostalgia and no horror, making it a great choice for people not too eager to watch jumpscares.

Coraline

Claymation movies can be a bit creepy sometimes, but “Coraline” offers a charming story with a few scares. Remember the saying, “The grass is always greener on the other side”? This may seem true but not in Coraline’s case. In order to stay in the world she’s always dreamed of, she has to make a sacrifice. With a plot that revolves around a little girl deciding whether or not she wants her eyes replaced with buttons, this film can be unsettling at times. Overall, “Coraline” is worth the watch.

Corpse Bride

“Corpse Bride” is another claymation from our childhood that gives us a sense of nostalgia. This film has comedy, creepiness and a few emotional scenes. When the corpse of Emily rises from the dead, Johnny Depp’s Victor must decide if he wants to remain in the living world, or travel down to the land of the dead. Tim Burton’s movies are always one-of-a-kind, and “Corpse Bride” is no different.

Scooby-Doo

“Scooby-Doo” is easily a top pick for must-watch Halloween movies. With popular actors such as Sarah Michelle Gellar and Matthew Lillard taking the screen as our favorite monster-hunters, Mystery Inc. returns to solve a mystery on a secluded island during spring break. This movie is genuinely comical and entertaining, making it deserving of your attention this Halloween.

The Addams Family

In this 1991 rendition of our favorite spooky family, “The Addams Family” is either a movie you’ve seen countless times or haven’t seen at all. Either way, this film should have a place in your Halloween movie marathons this week. “The Addams Family” is charming and hilarious, making it a definite crowd pleaser.

Social Media Director • Mizzou Her Campus chapter Journalism - Magazine Design • Art & History minor • University of Missouri - Columbia      
HC Contributer Mizzou