This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

As usual, my shopping addiction had me in a chokehold this year. Between reading new books, sipping on refreshing beverages or trying out the newest TikTok trend, I was constantly looking for a new obsession. And while it’s not time to unpack my love for material things and shopping, it’s definitely time to talk about my 10 favorite items of the year. 

Skin care 

Trader Joe’s Moisturizing Lip Balm Set: This was most definitely a TikTok-influenced purchase and I have zero regrets about it. The set comes with almond cream, strawberry tangerine, watermelon, peppermint, raspberry cream and green tea-flavored lip balm, all for $6. Not only is the packaging adorable, but the price point is to die for and it was very tempting to buy multiple sets. This set is the perfect combination of hydration and refreshing flavor and is a must-have for all lip balm lovers.

Aveeno Stress Relief Moisturizing Lavender Lotion: I’ve been using Bath & Body Works lotion religiously since elementary school and I’ve finally had enough of my skin feeling greasy after using it. I was on the hunt for an affordable lotion that smelled great and absorbed into my skin without feeling heavy or gross. I guess Jennifer Aniston was right when she says Aveeno lotion is the best because I can’t get enough of it. I have multiple bottles and can’t get enough of the way it moisturizes my dry skin and smells so good.

SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie: If I was ever going to be stuck on a deserted island and could only bring one thing with me, it would be this. This curl cream has literally saved my hair and helped me fall in love with my curls. In high school, I hated my natural hair because I didn’t know how to take care of it and thought it was just too unruly to embrace. But after using products from SheaMoisture and continually learning about my hair, I’ve grown to love it and even prefer it over straightening my hair. It holds the curls so well and helps keep my frizz under control better than any other product. I’ve gone through multiple jars of this product and love pairing it with SheaMoisture’s Hold and Shine Moisture Mist.

Beverages

Brisk Strawberry Melon Iced Tea: I’ve fallen in love with flavored teas within the past year and a half, and this tea specifically can make the hardest days bearable. It honestly might just be because the bottle is huge and has a ton of sugar, but the tea is just so good and refreshing. It’s also so cheap and is the perfect pick-me-up during a long day of classes or if I’m craving something sweet and don’t want dessert.

Moscow Mules: Upon turning 21, I started to branch out and try more mixed drinks. I’ve become obsessed with Moscow mules lately. I was skeptical at first because I didn’t think I would like ginger beer, but it’s essentially a more flavorful version of ginger ale and adds so much flavor to the drink. A Moscow mule is usually made with vodka, ginger beer and lime, but I’ve also added homemade blueberry syrup to mine to spice it up a little bit. My personal favorite part of drinking mules is the adorable copper mug that comes with it. It just feels so sophisticated and fancy, plus it’s super easy to make.

McDonald’s Caramel Cappuccinos: Now I know this might sound weird, but McCafe drinks are so good. I’ve always been a fan of vanilla cappuccinos and wanted to branch out and try a caramel drink after work one day. The rich flavor of the caramel mixed with the foam on top is the perfect combination and sometimes I can’t get through a shift without getting one. If you use the McDonald’s app, you can get 50% off a medium or large McCafe beverage and I highly recommend giving it a try.

Miscellaneous

The Birthday Book by Shelley von Strunckel: I picked up this book towards the end of the year from Barnes and Noble and instantly fell in love. Each page of the book is a different day of the year and tells you what your personality is like, based on your birthday. This is one of my favorite astrology books because it’s so interesting and I love reading it to my friends so they can learn more about themselves. You can find the book on Amazon, and it’s such a fun book to add to your list.

American Royals by Katharine McGee: I’ve already written a book review on American Royals, but wow is all I have to say. I’ve thought about this book at least once a day since I finished it over the summer and I just can’t get over it. The ending was absolutely wild and the character development for the four main characters is stunning. I’m currently reading the sequel, called Majesty, and I can’t wait to see how McGee wraps up the story.

Costco 20″ Baby Yoda Plush: This was probably the most unpredictably predictable purchase of the year for me. If you know me at all, you know I can’t get enough of this little green cutie and I had no idea this plush even existed until I saw TikToks about it. I’ve never purchased something so fast and I think everyone needs this giant plush either for a pillow or for decoration in their room.

Leoben Co. Candles: In addition to saying goodbye to my Bath & Body Works lotion, I’ve also been straying away from Bath & Body Works candles. A lot of the time, the candles are just too overpowering and make my throat hurt from the amount of fragrance oil in them. Leoben Co. is a candle company I found at HomeGoods and I love their lavender and coconut candle. All of their soy candles are made in California and are vegan, so they’re very different compared to Bath & Body Works. The packaging is adorable and usually consists of something astrology-related or very aesthetically pleasing and I love burning the entire candle and reusing the jar for something else.

Sophia Donis

Mizzou '23

I’m a Journalism major with a minor in Political Science from the Chicago suburbs! I love interior design, spending time with my friends and snuggling up with a good book!