My Life in Buenos Aires

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Buenos Aires, known as the Paris of Latin America, is exactly that. The people, architecture, and food are all very European with a dash of Latino culture. If it weren’t for the language, I’d probably forget I was in South America.

It’s been about 2 months since I’ve been in Bs. As. living in an upscale neighborhood known as Recoleta. It’s a beautiful neighborhood with many tourist attractions: the most important being the Recoleta Cemetery, which I live 2 blocks away from. I love life as a porteña. If you like gigantic fast-paced cities and don’t mind tan, green-eyed business men five out of seven days then you’ll love being in Buenos Aires.

If you’re seriously thinking about studying abroad in Buenos Aires (which you should) here are a few tips you might find useful:

1.     The app, Porteño Spanish, will be your new best friend. Download it, learn it, love it, and live it. Castellano is the Spanish dialect spoken in Argentina. From pronunciation to completely different meanings for certain words, it’s important that you know “emocionado” doesn’t exactly translate as “excited” in castellano.

2.     If you’ve never had a sweet tooth, you do now. It’s not your fault that every block has a confiteria with clear glass windows displaying every pastry known to man. And when you can get a pastry for the equivalent of .40 cents U.S. no one is judging you if you get more than one. You’ll also find a lot of pastries with Dulce de Leche, a sweet and creamy filling with the consistency of caramel that is amazing with almost anything and medialunas, which are the equivalent to a glazed croissant.

3.     You better start hailing busses like Carrie Bradshaw hails a cab. Don’t fool yourself by standing at the right bus stop, even if you are, he won’t stop for you unless you signal him pull over. When he does be ready to hop on, literally. Sometimes the bus driver barely stops, but that’s why there are handles on the outside of the bus, right?

4.     Bring American dollars. Most people are willing to exchange money with you at a better rate than the banks or ATMs will give you. This is the best way to get more for your money. Another way to avoid awful exchange rates is to create an account with www.xoom.com and have money wired to you with their exchange rate

5.     It’s normal to have dinner at 9 p.m. In fact, that’s considered early. It’s also normal to go out at 3 a.m. and before that is considered the pre-game. Prepare to be a night owl.

6.     Don’t be offended by the overwhelming display of public affection. The Latin American culture is a passionate culture and isn’t afraid to show it.

7.     I haven’t used “adios” since I’ve been here. Instead, to say goodbye people say “Chau”. It’s very Italian but I’m not surprised. If you do research on Argentina’s history you’ll find that many Argentines have Italian descent due to the large number of Italians that moved to Argentina in the early-mid 20th century. Their culture and language is proof of their Italian and Spanish roots. That being said, pizza and gelato are few and far beyond every street corner.

8.     Put aside at least two days for laundry, that includes washing and drying. The reason being, most departamentos (apartment) don’t have dryers.

9.     Try a Fernet and coke. It’s a popular drink that everyone is obsessed with and sometimes declared the national drink. If you like Jagermeister then you’ll like Fernet. If you don’t like Jager, well, you still have to try it.

10. Order “agua SIN gas” otherwise you’ll get carbonated water which is what most porteños prefer. Also, water isn’t free so don’t think you’re paying more for sin gas.

11. Don’t tip your cab driver. We’re not being rude or cheap; it’s just that in Buenos Aires taxi drivers don’t receive tips.  When you can, ride with Radiotaxi. This company known to be the most reliable and not rip off tourists.

12. You may not be in Kansas anymore but you can fine dine at Kansas, an American style restaurant, located in Palermo barrio (neighborhood).  You can only eat so many empanadas before you start to miss American cuisine. This restaurant not only has an amazing American menu but also has impeccable American service. I say this because the service in Argentina is not comparable to service in the United States. You’ll feel at home for a while and appreciate every waiter you have for the rest of you life.

13. Like in any big city, be aware of your surroundings and keep your prized possessions close or at home. It’s not uncommon to have your iPhone stolen and sold for an insane amount of money, especially in Bs. As.

Over all, Buenos Aires is a great way to experience a different kind of South American culture. Come with an open mind and immerse yourself in the Paris of Latin America.

¡Chau!

Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.