Must-Haves When Packing for a Study Abroad Trip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Planning for a study abroad begins and ends with packing. There are countless items you must pack, a slew of items you can’t pack, things that should be in your carry-on, items that can’t go in a carry-on, weight and bag limits to stay within and countless other restrictions and suggestions. Then, you must also allot extra room in your luggage for items you purchase while abroad. So forget the actual packing, just reading through the packing lists is tiring enough. The goal is to pack as light as possible because it’s all about the adventure and the mems, but don’t forget these must-have items to make your trip a success.  

Plug Adapter and/or Converters 

Plug adapters are undoubtedly the most important item on this list. Without them, your tech devices and appliances are essentially useless. The easiest way to solve this is by buying a universal outlet adapter or a combo pack because several European countries have their own prong setup.

Buy your adapter here:

https://www.amazon.com/Insten-Universal-Travel-Charger-Adapter/dp/B000YN01X4

http://www.target.com/p/travel-smart-all-in-one-adapter-with-usb-port/-/A-16346754

Another necessity in the electronics department is a voltage converter. In the U.S., electricity is normally supplied at 110 or 120 volts, whereas in Europe the voltage is anywhere between 200 and 240 volts. The appliances most affected by voltage are hair dryers and curling irons, so it’s probably best to leave those at home and buy cheap replacements once you arrive at your destination. It will be far easier to purchase new hair appliances than it will be to treat fried hair or fix a power outage. The good news: your iPhone and Macbook laptop chargers already contain built-in voltage converters.  

Camera 

While the new iPhone’s camera quality is better than ever before, nothing beats a good old-fashioned DSLR to document all your adventuring and sightseeing. Be sure to store your camera in a proper case and carry it securely to avoid damage or theft.  

Monochromatic Clothing

How to avoid looking like a tourist: leave the colorful clothing at home.  Monochromatic clothing is considered “high fashion” and will make you fit in with those stylish Europeans. Sticking to basic colors also makes packing and repeating outfits easier. Blacks and grays tend to match almost everything, so you will be able to pack much lighter. Also, stains hardly show on dark clothing, meaning you can still wear those black jeggings even after a coffee spilling incident.  

Rain Gear 

Since nothing is more unpredictable than weather, it never hurts to pack a rain jacket and umbrella. Rain jackets also work great as lightweight windbreakers and hardly take up any space when packing. Also, carrying an umbrella in good weather is not nearly as annoying as being stuck in the elements unprepared.  

Passport Case 

With all the important documents and backup copies needed to travel overseas, a passport case is perfect for keeping everything organized and in one place.  Several cases even come with anti-skimming technology to protect your personal documents from identity fraud, since the only thing worse than identity theft is identity theft in a foreign country.  

Sensible Footwear 

Packing for a trip can be tricky because it requires planning ahead for the weather, activity and occasion. No shoe is worth bringing if it isn’t comfortable, so make sure to pack reliable shoes that are properly broken in. Sneakers, flat boots and water-resistant shoes are your best bet for a successful, blister-free trip.  

Portable Charger 

Portable chargers are great for trips when you’re on the go and don’t want to spend all day searching for an outlet to charge your devices. Don’t let your trip to the Eiffel Tower go undocumented just because your phone is dead. Just make sure you remember to charge your charger.

Shop portable chargers here: 

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cell-phone-batteries/external-battery-packs/pcmcat326000050010.c?id=pcmcat326000050010

For a full lowdown of what to pack for your study abroad, check out Her Campus’ Ultimate Study Abroad Packing List: http://www.hercampus.com/life/travel/ultimate-study-abroad-packing-list

HC Contributer Mizzou