Movie Review: ‘Gone Girl’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Whether you have free time or not, you need to see “Gone Girl.” Don’t even bother reading this, just go, right now. But if you still need some convincing, more than just a random journalist telling you to go see a movie, then read on.

If you don’t know anything about “Gone Girl,” then here’s what you need to know. The book of the same name by Gillian Flynn came out in June 2012. The movie just came out last week (Oct. 3). “Gone Girl” is told from the perspectives of the two main characters: Nick (Ben Affleck), the husband, and Amy (Rosamond Pike), the victim.

It’s a horrifying, disturbing tale that will have you wanting more, then less, then not knowing what you want anymore. It will have you sitting on the edge of your seat and biting your nails, as your eyes widen to take it all in.

For those of you who are afraid to see movies that are based off books for fear they won’t be anything like the original story, you need not fear this one. The story told in the film, thankfully, is very similar to the book, probably because the screenplay was written by Gillian Flynn and no author wants to see their work mangled into a nonsensical attempt at telling their story.

As the movie progresses, you begin to piece together what has happened, and what’s going on. You start to predict what’s going to happen next and, as always, the “whodunnit” of it all.

Then BAM! 

Everything changes, you don’t know what’s going on and you all about lose it trying to figure out what to think and how to feel. You go through a whirlwind of “wait, what,” “holy crap,” and various other thoughts that I shouldn’t state here.

By the end of the movie, you’re questioning the people in your life, wondering if this will be the story of your life and you’re probably a little creeped out and frightened… But in a good way. The kind of way you feel when you see a really good thriller and instead of not being able to sleep at night, you’re scared in that weird way that gives you chills but not nightmares. If that makes sense. Maybe it doesn’t.

Why are you still reading this when you could be getting in your car and on your way to go see “Gone Girl” right now? Just make sure you go to the bathroom beforehand so you don’t miss anything because trust me, missing two minutes of this movie could probably make you lose your mind.

Go see “Gone Girl.” Go. Now.

During my time with HerCampus, I was a Senior at Mizzou, originally from the Chicagoland area. I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Interdisciplinary Studies with emphases in Journalism, Film Studies, and Art, and I have a certificate in Multicultural Studies. I am now pursuing an MBA at another university. I like movies, sushi, photography, and Chipotle.   deenakahn.com
Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.