The @MizzouMakeouts Craze

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

You wake up on Sunday morning head pounding, feet killing and body aching. You reach for your phone and immediately open twitter. @MizzouMakeouts has overtaken your feed; you view every single twitpic and find yourself cracking up, yelling at your roommates “OMG look at what @MizzouMakeouts just tweeted!” All of a sudden your headache is gone and you’re ready to take on the day. Well….I wish. Although @MizzouMakeouts can’t cure our hangovers quite yet, it never fails to give me a good laugh.

It’s not just Sunday mornings either, @MizzouMakeouts has become an everyday thing. I constantly see people stalking it in class or overhear conversations about it on the street. It has truly become a craze! If you have no idea what @MizzouMakeouts is (where have you been?), it’s a Twitter account that receives pictures of MU students making out in public, which can be anywhere from at a party, on the street, in the bars, etc. Someone who snaps a picture of the frisky couple will tweet it to @MizzouMakeouts in the hopes that it will be retweeted and seen by thousands. @MizzouMakeouts has also inspired several other twitter accounts including @MizzouPassouts and @MizzouShackers which are the same idea.

There’s no doubt that @MizzouMakeouts is loved by many, but have you ever thought about how the people on it might feel? I know I’ve never really considered it myself. Is this twitter account truly hurting or humiliating people, or is it merely a joke for all of us? I asked a friend who has been on it how she felt: “It was hilarious the first time. I laughed along with my friends for a good five minutes, but the next time I made an appearance it wasn’t as funny. It just got kind of old.” Being on @MizzouMakeouts didn’t hurt my friend’s feelings at all nor did she find it embarrassing. “It’s not that big of a deal,” she said.

Sure, everyone is different. Some people may become embarrassed after being featured. Some may even change their habits in fear of being spotted by a camera. If you think you would be extremely upset after being featured on @MizzouMakeouts, don’t make out in public! It’s that simple. As for the rest of us, I think we can all agree that @MizzouMakeouts is not only entertaining, but one of our favorite accounts on Twitter. So keep it up, @MizzouMakeouts, you make my bad mornings a little bit better.

Allison Goldberg is a junior at the University of Missouri double majoring in strategic communication journalism with an emphasis in PR and marketing and psychology. In Columbia, she is a member of Zeta Tau Alpha women's fraternity executive council and is a Rent the Runway campus rep. During her spare time you can find her shopping, spending time with her friends and family, running outside or reading a fashion magazine. Allison has interned at a social media firm, BCV Evolve in Chicago for the past two summers. She hopes to work for a fashion PR firm in Chicago or New York when she graduates and eventually travel to South America.