Missing Broadway? Here are the Best Places to Watch Renowned Broadway Shows Online

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Since March 12, 2020, New York City’s famed theater shows, most commonly on the street called Broadway, have not been putting on performances. While it may look like Broadway will not be making its revival anytime soon, and some shows have already announced their permanent cancellation, do not fear. There are many different streaming services, websites and links that can provide you with your Broadway fix. Whether it be with the classics or with newer productions, here are some of the best places to watch (and sing along to) your favorite musicals and plays. 

Disney+

Hello Dolly! (1969, Film)

Hamilton (2020, Broadway)

Newsies (2017, Filmed Live Event)

Netflix

Springsteen on Broadway (2018, Broadway)

Mike Birbiglia: The New One (2019, Broadway)

Shrek the Musical (2013, Broadway)

American Son (2019, Film)

Fiddler on the Roof (1971, Film)

Les Miserables (2012, Film)

Oh, Hello on Broadway (2017, Broadway)

The Prom (2020, Film)

Amazon Prime Video

Carousel (1956, Film; 2013, Concert)

Fiddler on the Roof (1971, Film)

King Lear (2020, Film)

Hello, Again (2018, Film)

Kiss Me, Kate (1958, Film)

The SpongeBob Musical: Live on Stage! (2019, Filmed Live Event)

Rent (2008, Broadway)

West Side Story (1961, Film)

Hair (1979, Film)

Billy Elliot: The Musical (2014, London)

Funny Girl (1968, Film)

Little Shop of Horrors (1968, Film)

Les Miserables (2010, London)

Into The Woods (2014, Film)

BroadwayHD

Falsettos (2017, Broadway)

The King and I (2018, London)

Miss Saigon (2016, Concert)

Kinky Boots (2018, London)

Cats (1998, London)

Phantom of the Opera (2011, Concert)

An American in Paris (2017, London)

42nd Street (2019, Film)

Peter Pan (2000, Film)

YouTube

YouTube has lots of musicals available to the public to rent or buy, but there are also many bootlegged versions of broadway musicals that people have filmed and posted on the website that the public can watch for free. While these musicals are often a bit hard to find due to copyright restricitions, often times if you are a large broadway listener they may be recommended to you. Though the shows are usually not titled by their correct names to avoid being taken down, viewers can find musicals such as Dear Evan HansenBeetlejuiceWaitressAladdinBonnie and ClydeLegally BlondeCabaretCinderella and The Hunchback of Notre Dame – to name a few. 

It’s not sitting in a beautiful theater in New York City, but it will do, for now. Happy watching!

Ellie DeBeer

Mizzou '24

Hi! My name is Ellie, and I am excited to share stories with the public! I am interested broadcast journalism, theatre, choir, and promoting awareness for national sex education.
HC Contributer Mizzou