Misconceptions About Sherlock Holmes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Sherlock Holmes is an intriguing and clever character that Arthur Conan Doyle wrote nearly 60 stories about between 1887 and 1927. To this day, media still is infatuated with using this character over and over due to his appeal and wit.

Naturally, there are a few misinterpretations that have happened over the years in regards to Holmes. 

Doyle never wrote, “Elementary, my dear Watson.” This comes as a surprise to many people, considering it is such a widely used quote. In “The Adventure of the Crooked Man,” Sherlock Holmes comes the closest to saying this phrase. “Elementary” and “My dear Watson” are used in proximity, but not together.

The deerstalker hat is also not a real part of Holmes’ wardrobe in the Arthur Conan Doyle books. The hat was never mentioned; the hat was added by Sydney Paget, an illustrator.

Holmes kicks his cocaine habit fairly quickly, with the help of John Watson. “The Seven Per-Cent Solution” portrays Holmes as having a cocaine problem that Sigmund Freud aids him in recovering from. This is also an adaptation of the character that is exaggerated. An author by the name of Nicholas Meyer wrote “The Seven Per-Cent Solution.” 

Schedule

HC Contributer Mizzou