Make Classic Novels Modern: a Hashtag

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.
We’ve seen the #MakeClassicNovelsModern tweets that are bringing back the classics in a contemporary, yet humorous, way. Even though these books may be considered “old” and “ancient,” those novels, and the messages in them, are still relevant.
Here are 10 timeless novel quotes that are still pertinent and useful in today’s society:

1. “It sounds plausible enough tonight, but wait until tomorrow. Wait for the common sense of the morning” ~ The Time Machine by H.G. Wells. Today this quote may be more known when people tell you to sleep on it and then make a decision. But this phrase is still great advice both today and in 1895 when the book was written.

2. “Nothing is so painful to the human mind as a great and sudden change” ~ Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Whether it be a sudden loss, an unexpected experience, or even going to an entirely new environment (such as college), change is hard fo everyone as they try to adapt and continuing living in a different situation.

3. “Being in a minority, even in a minority of one, did not make you mad. There was truth and there was untruth, and if you clung to the truth even against the whole world, you were not mad” ~ 1984 by George Orwell. This has remained true for centuries, and it reminds us all to stand up for what you believe in, even if others claim that you are crazy or wrong. The reality is that you’re persevering for what’s important to you, and that is what matters most.

4. “I know not all that may be coming, but be what it will, I’ll go at it laughing” ~ Moby Dick by Herman Melville. Having a positive attitude towards life, especially when thinking about the future, is vital for enjoying it. Even when the bad days come, if you can laugh about it, then it’ll make it much easier to get through and maybe it won’t be as miserable.

5. “Life appears to me too short to be spent in nursing animosity or registering wrongs” ~ Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. “Forgive and forget” is the old saying that goes along with this quote, and even though it’s not easy to forget, it’s better not to dwell on it so that you don’t miss out on the other great adventures life has in store for you.

6. “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing” ~ The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. It can be true that sometimes in the midst of worrying about material things we lose sight of what has genuine value in our lives. But once we take a step back and see the things that truly matter in life then it can be life changing.

7. “I do love nothing in the world so well as you- is not that strange?” ~ Much Ado About Nothing by William Shakespeare. Being in love is amazing yet complicated and can leave us pondering over its emotions and feelings that it leaves with us. It cannot be easily defined, but once love overtakes a person then he/she will understand the baffling experience.

8. “My advice is never do tomorrow what you can do today. Procrastination is the thief of time. Collar him!” ~ David Copperfield by Charles Dickens. We all know what it’s like to be up in the late hours of the night finishing up homework or reading that last chapter for history class. Procrastination has gotten the better of us and has been around since the 1800s as we still continue to constantly push commitments to the last minute.

9. “People themselves alter so much, that there is something new to be observed in them forever” ~ Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. As we continue to mature in life, we are always changing, not only growing physically but also as individuals. We form new ideas and opinions, learn new skills, and become all around more unique and memorable human beings.

10. “‘Am I hideous Jane?’” “‘Very sir; you always were, you know’” ~ Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. “Savage” is the modern slang that comes to mind when reading this conversation. But the quote in the story refers to two lovers teasing each other, showing how even back in the day couples knew how to have fun with one another.

Here are some of the best tweets from the hashtag on Twitter:

Studying to be a journalist at the University of Missouri in Columbia. Senior Editor and Writer at Her Campus Mizzou.
HC Contributer Mizzou