Maggie Lindemann’s new EP is to “Die For”

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

For those who love pop-punk, look no further than Maggie Lindemann’s newest extended play release, “HEADSPLIT.”

The Texas songstress rose to stardom in 2016 with her infectious pop anthem “Pretty Girl,” only to undergo musical metamorphosis towards rock in 2019.

Featuring eight tracks, with six being brand new to fans, Lindemann strives to dive into a heavier sound while still sticking with what she knows best. 

Maggie Lindemann and Zach Jones worked together the most on the EP. While both are credited as composers and lyricists, Lindemann seemed to do the majority of the writing, with Jones being credited as a producer. Jones has worked with other pop-punk artists like Scene Queen, Honey Revenge and Crown The Empire. 

Right off the bat, it’s obvious that Lindemann’s voice is filled with emotion and power as she sings the self-written lyrics. 

“Rip My Heart Out” features an emotional piano that quickly transcends into variable percussion and electric riffs of the guitar. 

The record includes three artist features, splitting up the album by branching off in different directions and styles. Lindemann focuses on letting these collaborators put their own style into her songs, seamlessly blending different music styles together. 

“Deprecating” with Siiickbrain is a collaboration many fans were excited to see on the EP, despite it being released months prior. The two have collaborated several times, with each release being heavier than before. Siiickbrain’s screaming tendencies contrast with Lindemann’s vocals beautifully. This is by far the most experimental song on the album, combining the two artist’s genres to create what some would consider a mix of “noise” music, a genre that is characterized by excessive sounds and noises, as well as alternative punk.

This record puts Lindemann’s thoughts into words, talking about how her mind and thoughts still get the best of her despite having a good support system behind her. 

There are three variants of the LP available to purchase, with two of them being available on Lindemann’s website and one being an Urban Outfitters exclusive.

Kaihli Mitts is a sophomore at Mizzou studying Journalism and Strategic Communications. She is the TikTok manager for HerCampus at Mizzou, and loves to write articles about music and entertainment. When she's not studying, you can catch her listening to music, scrolling through social media, or making your drink at the campus Starbucks <3