Looking for Gifts? Here’s 12 Unique Items from Small Businesses to Avoid Amazon

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

During the busy month of December, finding non-basic gifts for the holidays can be tough. While a three-wick Bath and Body Works candle can be a solid gift, it can feel a bit generic, and thoughtful gifts can really show how much you know and appreciate someone. So, we’ve done all the legwork for you – all you have to do is pick which unique gift will be perfect for your unique person.

1. A pet portrait

A pet portrait is a custom painting of your favorite furry munchkin. It’s great for that one friend that shows every single person 13 pictures of their dog or cries whenever their parents send them a new video of their pup. This business has multiple testimonies and example portraits alongside happy animals and happy humans.

2. Taylor’s Version Mug

The perfect gift for your friend that can’t stop digging for Easter eggs in Taylor’s new short film (but let’s talk about the Jake Lyon actor in the last scene) or someone who’s been listening to “All Too Well” (10-minute version) (Taylor’s Version) (From the Vault) on repeat since it dropped.

3. Diagon Magic Alley Book Nook

Who doesn’t love Harry Potter? For some reason, watching Dementors, three-headed dogs and Professor McGonagall really gets me in the holiday spirit. This book nook is a handmade, wooden version of Diagon Alley. It would fit perfectly into the cluttered shelves of your Draco-obsessed friend that has all seven books in the series.

4. City skyline ring

There’s always that one friend whose whole personality surrounds the fact that they’re “from Chicago,” but they actually live a 50-minute drive away in the suburbs. Or the one person who wears nothing but Chiefs gear and never stops talking about Kansas City barbecue. This ring would be perfect for that friend – featuring the mesmerizing silhouette of their favorite place in a sterling silver band.

5. Tea Drop Sampler

Everyone and their mother loves coffee, but there are those certain people that LOVE tea – love it, like, drink it three times a day love it (and they’re not even British). If you have a tea friend, this one’s for you. The sampler is filled with nine fun-shaped compact teas individually wrapped in a recyclable gift box. They have an array of flavors like Matcha Green, Blueberry Acai White and Orange Cinnamon Roll. Each drop is in the shape of a heart, flower or star. Getting your pal their tea fix and making it fun at the same time!

6. Menopod

Hitting puberty is one thing, but hitting menopause is another beast. A very common symptom of menopause is extreme hot flashes and from what I’ve seen, hot flashes don’t feel like a fun little trip to the sauna; they’re more like walking on hot coals inside of an active volcano. This nifty little gadget offers “near-instant relief from menopausal hot flashes,” all with the push of a button. After the computer-mouse-looking gadget reaches 41 degrees Fahrenheit, place it on the back of the neck for one minute for quick relief. So, if you’ve overheard your mom or aunt talking about how they’ve been hot in the middle of February, consider this gift!

7. Tiny Terracotta Holiday Grow Kit

This kit is perfect for your friend with a green thumb or someone who recently became a crazy plant lady over quarantine with seven new potted plants. The kit has a terracotta pot and comes with everything needed for the little sprout to grow indoors. Just add water and sunshine! There are three options: Festive Poinsettia, Nordic Spruce and Peppermint Cosmo.

8. Centered Student Planner

The start of the new year means the start of a new planner! The Centered Student Planner is designed by a professor intended for college students. It aims to set goals, create focus and help students practice gratitude. The planner has a monthly calendar, hourly spreads for each day of the month and a new tip each week. The best part of this calendar is the QR code that leads to a video giving advice on how to get through college. If you know a type-A student, they’d definitely appreciate and utilize this gift.

9. EvenFlow Coffee

We covered a gift for the tea drinkers, but how about the coffee addicts? Evenflow is a one-stop shop for exclusive coffee and tea. What makes their company unique is their album-themed blends. If you’ve got a friend who loves Ri-Ri, get them a package of the “Anti (French Roast),” or for the one friend that genuinely believes Kanye could become president, they’ve got a “Cruel Winter (Cold Brew).” 

10. 3D Stadium Coaster Set

Looking for a gift for your favorite sporto? These coasters not only protect the wood from getting damaged by the sweat of your glass, but they also can remind guests how much they hate Ohio State (I specifically didn’t say the “The” just to spite them). The coaster features a birds-eye view of the stadium in precision-cut layers. There are multiple leagues offered: MLB, NFL, NCAA and NHL. 

11. Cindy Lou Who Whipped Soap

What do you get when you combine hygiene with slime? WHIPPED SOAP! This foaming soap has coconut oil for proper moisturization and smells like the love child of a vanilla bean frappuccino and a York Peppermint Pattie. It also comes in a Sugar Whip foaming scrub, so you can finally exfoliate that spray tan from three weeks ago!

12. Gordon Ramsey Coloring Book

After final exams and as seasonal depression kicks in, we’re all needing to decompress. This coloring book does just the trick – it allows you to destress with coloring while simultaneously releasing your bottled rage toward your teacher that didn’t bump your grade even though you were at 89.4%. Getting to color “an idiot sandwich” in pastels does wonders for the mind.   

All of that said, if you don’t have the money to buy gifts for all of your loved ones, a handwritten note or even just a text can remind them how much you appreciate them. The holiday season is meant to be shared with friends and family, and the most meaningful gift is quality time spent with the people you love most.

Liza is a senior studying Broadcast Journalism and Theatre at the University of Missouri. She's obsessed with dogs, yet has never had one in her life (thanks Mom) and loves all things Musical Theatre.