Lil Miquela: The AI Influencer That Has Everyone Confused

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

If you haven’t heard of Lil Miquela, you haven’t dug too far into Instagram. Identifying herself as a musician, Lil Miquela became famous for confusing the public with her computer-generated appearance. She may not be a real person, but she has a strong following. With over one million followers Lil Miquela has become an Instagram influencer.

There are several conspiracy theories attempting to solve the mystery of Lil Miquela. YouTuber Shane Dawson has even chatted with Lil Miquela in a conspiracy video, but it only included audio. Is she a real person with edited photos? Is it all a marketing scheme? There are no confirmed answers yet, but a recent hacking of her account has left us with even more questions.

Source: Highsnobiety

Another AI Instagram model hacked into Lil Miquela’s account, “exposing” her for being a fake influencer. The account belongs to Bermuda, who posted four photos on Lil Miquela’s feed.

Bermuda is a less-enhanced, alt-right AI who claims to be created by Cain Intelligence. This is a company that “allows for humans to engage in [their] specialized robots in free-format, natural language.” Confused yet? So are we.

Basically, people are trying to decide whether this is a marketing scheme for Cain Intelligence or the future of technology as we know it. Of course, some people on social media have voiced their concern that this signals the end of the world.

Whatever your stance is, we can all agree that this is one of the craziest feuds on social media in a while.

If you’re interested in Lil Miquela’s whereabouts, you can follow her on Twitter and Instagram under @lilmiquela.

Social Media Director • Mizzou Her Campus chapter Journalism - Magazine Design • Art & History minor • University of Missouri - Columbia