This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

If I had to make a list of the things I hate in life, situationships are towards the top of the list. I know that might seem weird, but many of the things surrounding situationships are complicated, and it’s a different experience for everyone.

A situationship is essentially a “relationship” in which two people do things that a couple might do, without the commitment or title. A situationship could also include strictly sexual experiences and have nothing to do with emotions and romance.

For some, this can be the perfect scenario and exactly what they need in life. For others, it turns into something that is emotionally draining and they regret it in the end. Regardless of your opinions on situationships, there are a few important things to keep in mind if you ever find yourself in the midst of one.

Set boundaries

Setting boundaries allows everyone to be on the same page and sets the precedent of being respectful of each other and knowing when something goes too far. Boundaries could also be useful if you don’t want to get hurt from getting too emotionally involved and need to know when to take a step back.

The boundary talk is something that should happen regularly so all parties involved are effectively communicating, and so they can have open and honest conversations about the circumstances. The last thing you want is to look back and be upset that you didn’t handle things the way you wanted, resulting in someone crossing a line.

Know your worth

I’m sure at this point I sound like a broken record from the number of times I’ve said, “Know your worth,” but it has to be important if I keep saying it, right?

Something I always remind myself when I’m caught in these situations is, “Would you let someone treat your best friend like this?” and, “Would you treat yourself like this?” If the answer to one or both of those questions is ‘no,’ that says a lot about the situation you’re in currently.

Realizing when you deserve more or deserve something different is often hard to process because it means you need to make a tough decision. Staying true to yourself and your beliefs is also important, and you should never compromise yourself for someone that doesn’t genuinely care about you.

At the end of the day, you need to do what’s best for you, and if the other person isn’t serving your needs and is just messing with you, they need to go.

Communication is key

While some situationships are kept casual and both parties are completely fine with that, others might find themselves in a different position and feelings might be involved. This is where boundaries and knowing your worth come together so you can focus on effectively communicating your feelings.

If you’re anything like me, you hate being vulnerable and have never been very good at expressing your emotions. Being able to sit down with someone and pour your heart out or even let them in a little bit is a huge step in your personal growth, and if the other person doesn’t appreciate that, that’s a major red flag.

By continuously communicating your feelings, it helps the other person know where your head is at, but it also prevents you from keeping all of those emotions bottled up inside. The last thing you want is to go to bed upset or angry, so if you can make an effort to communicate in any capacity, it will definitely pay off in the long run.

With all of this advice in mind, I hope it’s easier to navigate your situationship or better prepare yourself if you ever encounter one. As long as you continue fostering self-love and know when enough is enough, you’ll be in good shape.

Sophia Donis

Mizzou '23

I’m a Journalism major with a minor in Political Science from the Chicago suburbs! I love interior design, spending time with my friends and snuggling up with a good book!