The Latest on Gun Control

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Gun control has been on the minds of many since the school shooting in Parkland, Florida in February. While the world has responded nationally with a school walkout and a “March For Our Lives,” lawmakers have been writing and proposing bills in response to the shooting.

National Level

The White House has proposed plans regarding gun violence in schools that involve improvements in the mental health system as well as the FBI tip line. The STOP School Violence Act of 2018 was passed on Wednesday, Mar. 14, which includes more security in schools and provides training for teachers and faculty to prevent violence. President Trump also plans to ban bump stocks, which allow guns to become a fully automatic firearm.

State Level

Missouri legislators have proposed several laws regarding guns recently, two of which are pro-gun and 21 that are anti-gun. House Bill 2082 proposes requiring permits to purchase firearms. House Bill 1242 involves prohibiting the selling, owning or making of bump stocks.

Studying to be a journalist at the University of Missouri in Columbia. Senior Editor and Writer at Her Campus Mizzou.