This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Dating is hard. So many things factor into finding the right person, and living through a global pandemic makes it even harder to navigate. Tinder, Bumble and Hinge are great ways to connect with people online, but there are a bunch of things you need to keep in mind if you’re going to put yourself out there and try and find a significant other. 

First things first, we need to know what we want, prioritize ourselves and if we see a red flag, we RUN. There’s no reason for you to continue going on dates with someone or continue in a relationship if there are red flags galore and you’re constantly sacrificing your needs. 

Given everything you’ve been through in the past year, life is too complex and short to settle and give away parts of yourself for no reason. 

The person that you’re with should absolutely adore you, actively want to be around you and contribute something meaningful to your life. If they aren’t doing that, you need to reevaluate and either have a talk with your significant other/person you’re seeing or find someone who will be the person that gives you what you need. 

Knowing your worth is so incredibly important, and you owe it to yourself to find someone who will treat you right and support you. 

Now, I know what you’re thinking, and I’m not telling you that you need to have a significant other in order to be fulfilled and happy. But, what I am saying is that if you’re going to go out into the dating world or commit yourself to a relationship, you need to keep these things in mind. 

Sacrificing your happiness for a person who wouldn’t be afraid to lose you is a huge disservice to yourself, and you deserve better. 

Of course there are certain things you can talk out and compromise on, but there comes a point where you’re sacrificing too much, and it becomes unfair. You are so incredibly strong, absolutely amazing and wonderfully unique, and you need someone who recognizes that and wouldn’t hesitate to tell you. 

I know finding someone like that is hard and it might seem like you will never find that connection. Being patient with yourself and trusting the process is also important, and knowing when enough is enough is key. If you go on a first date with someone and they’re really not living up to your expectations and you’re getting constant red flags, there’s no reason to force yourself to stay in that situation. 

It’s much easier to leave or stop seeing each other in the earlier stages, than it is to keep forcing yourself to relive the same complications and continue down the same path. Although it’s going to be difficult to face that person and tell them it isn’t working out, it is what’s best for you and at the end of the day that’s all that matters. 

The biggest take away from all of this is to trust your instincts, stay true to yourself and know your worth. 

Sophia Donis

Mizzou '23

I’m a Journalism major with a minor in Political Science from the Chicago suburbs! I love interior design, spending time with my friends and snuggling up with a good book!