Kansas City Fashion Week Recap

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

“So we have MAC and Mix 93.3 on the stage left and Yelp and Ink Magazine on stage right. Got it?” All of the staff listened as our main event director explained the seating chart for this year’s show. Ladies in dresses and men in ties wore STAFF badges and ran around like crazy trying to figure out who was sitting where and how many extra chairs were needed for a given show.

Everyone had on his or her trendiest outfits – a sea of black, it seemed – as they prepared for this magnificent event. At 6 p.m. with an hour until the show would start, guests and designers alike flocked into the venue. And what’s a fashion show without a red carpet? Guests walked down the glamorous carpet to feel as classy as the movie stars. It also help set the scene for the night, which was clearly full of sophistication and originality.  This was Kansas City Fashion Week, a mini New York Fashion week to many.

Five shows throughout the weekend showcased the trending styles of the upcoming spring and summer seasons of 2012. Top designers from the Kansas City area flocked to the show to display their latest fashions. There were young, emerging designers and veterans as well, making it a well-rounded group with many unique designs. Some of these designers included Ola Style, Oblivion Clothing, Haus Designs by Sierra Moses, and American Trash.

A major trend that rocked the runway (literally!) was the punk-rock, rebellious look. Solid purple, black prints and leather seemed to take over the runway. Bold-colored swimsuits for beach season also popped up on models. Along with bold color, cutout one-piece swimsuits were increasingly popular. Chic styles were everywhere you looked on the runway – and hopefully soon on you, too! If fashion is your forte, then I highly recommend getting tickets for next year’s show. Want to check out the designers from Kansas City Fashion Week 2012? Visit http://www.kcfashionweek.com/#!designers.   

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!