Jessi Loos, Mizzou 39, MU Nursing, & Homecoming Royalty!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Jessi Loos, a senior from St. Charles, Mo., lives a busy campus life. She is one of 55 in her class to be admitted to the nursing school and was a previous member of Mizzou’s Summer Welcome. She is a member of Kappa Delta sorority, was on Homecoming Court for 2012, and is involved with Vagina Monologues, the Women’s Center and gives tours on campus. Did we mention she just got back from a winter break trip to Africa, too? To top it all off, she was picked for Mizzou ’39. Her Campus Mizzou sat down to talk with Jessi about her experiences at Mizzou and all her involvement.

Her Campus Mizzou: You’ve done some significant things on campus. Do you have any new projects you’re getting involved with?

Jessi Loos: I am a site leader for spring break alternative. We’re going to Tampa for a cat rescue for tigers and lions. I don’t touch them though. Also, I recently was one of the three selected to be on the nursing school graduation committee.

HCM: You were picked for Mizzou ’39. What exactly is that?

JL: Because the university was founded in 1839, the university always picks the top 39 students of the class. Obviously there were over hundreds of hundreds who were qualified to win.

HC: Why do you think you won?

JL: I applied *laughs*. But seriously, I was just recommended and then decided to apply.

HCM: How did it feel to be on Mizzou Homecoming Court?

JL: It was really humbling. It is really a life changing experience to know that I could be considered a role model. I think I am one of the first nursing students to be recognized in a very long time. I remember being an underclassman and seeing homecoming court and never seeing nursing students up there. So it was very rewarding.

HCM: Why do you think nursing students don’t tend to be as involved or known?

JL: Nursing students don’t have much time. The same thing was said when I applied for Summer Welcome, so I saw it as a challenge. But the nursing school is such an amazing community with outstanding people, but we don’t have classes in any other buildings but the nursing school. We don’t have the typical 9-3 p.m. school days so we’re kind of in the corner at Mizzou.

HCM: So why do you think people still recognize/remember you?

JL: My sorority pushed me to get involved and get out there. There are some phenomenal professors that pushed me to get out there and apply for positions. A lot of people saw potential in me and supported me.

HCM: You went to Africa. How was that experience?

JL: It was amazing; I want to go back. It counted towards Nursing so we went to South Africa. We gave home care to people with AIDS, HIV and Tuberculoses. I gained a whole new perspective for my patients as a whole. It was the most humbling experience for someone to let you love on them in their most vulnerable state. They’ve seen their wives, brothers and sisters die. So many even saw their own kids die. They were some of the strongest people I’ve ever met. It broke your heart and warmed it all at the same time.

HCM: You’ve gone and done so much more than most college students. How do you keep it together?

JL: A planner. It’s my lifesaver. I don’t sleep very much, and I drink a lot of coffee. It’s crazy; I didn’t even used to like coffee.

HCM: What are your feelings about your senior year?

JL: There have been challenges, growth and moments of sadness here and there as graduation approaches. I hate the G-word. But I’m very happy that I chose nursing and that I am going into a field that I am passionate about.

HCM: Word of advice for someone who wants to get involved?

JL: Get a mentor. Find someone who is older and reach out to them. Make sure you find someone who is on the track you hope to be on.

HCM: What are your future goals?

JL: I have so many goals.

Short term – I want to get a job working in a trauma emergency department in St. Louis, but it’s super competitive. I would also love to do travelling nursing where you practice nursing around the country for 8-13 weeks. I would love to do that for a couple of years.

Long term – I want to get my Master’s in either nursing education or nursing leadership or maybe both. Then be a professor or some type of nursing administrator.

But my ultimate goal is to be chief of nursing at a hospital or dean of nursing at Mizzou. 

She's a junior at the University of Missouri - Columbia, studying journalism with a strategic communication emphasis and a business minor. She hopes to be a part of the advertising world soon. She loves reading magazines, watching sports, and hanging out with family and friends.
Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.