Internship Dos And Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

It’s internship season, and I’m sure you’ve already put in your share of applications. Most of you might already have your internship lined up and are waiting for the semester to end so you can journey to what you think is the job of your dreams. Before you get out into the real world, you might want to consider some things that could get you noticed in both good ways and bad.

Do:
Be prepared to work.
Whether you’re fetching coffee five times a day, traveling across town on public transit to pick up something for your boss or simply filing papers for five hours straight, you must be prepared to work. Nothing is too little or too much for you to do. With that being said…
Always ask for something to do.
Do not be afraid to ask your boss if there is something you can do. If she or he isn’t there when you arrive, make yourself busy by asking a coworker if he or she has something for you to do. This would prove that you’re determined and there for a reason – to work.
Learn as much as possible.
There is nothing worse than your boss repeating everything she has ever told you every single day. If your internship requires you to make Starbucks runs every day, then make sure you know your boss’ order by the second week. Ask all you need to know in the first couple weeks so that you won’t interrupt your boss with dumb questions.
Be prompt.
This ties into number one. Get to work 15 minutes earlier than scheduled and let your boss know you’re on you’re A game. Never ask your boss when you can leave or what time you’re supposed to leave. You always want to be the first and last one in the office.

Don’t:
Dress inappropriately.
Dress codes vary from workplace to workplace. You might be required to dress businesses-casual if interning at a law firm while someone interning at a magazine is only required to dress casual. But everyone has to dress professionally. You don’t want an editor tweeting about how one of the silly interns decided to wear a lace top and booty shorts to work.
Bad-talk anyone in the office.
Regardless of whether it’s your boss, another office employee or another intern, you do not want to talk bad about anyone. Don’t bad-talk them on social networks. Don’t bad-talk them to strangers. Don’t bad-talk them to other interns in the office bathroom. You never know who’s watching, listening or who knows who. Which reminds us, you should also never…
Engage in office gossip.
I repeat: Do not engage in office gossip. Even if your boss is talking about a coworker or intern, you should not cosign. Ignore it, and if she or he asks for your opinion, you should say you don’t want to be involved. This might come as a surprise to most, but sometimes your boss is only testing you to see if you could survive above waters. It’s up to you to swim or sink.
Bring your emotions into the office.
It doesn’t matter if you’re feeling homesick, got into an argument with your boyfriend or are just plain fed up with your everyday duties. Keep it to yourself. No one wants to work with an emotional wreck, so make sure you leave your worries at home and take your smile and creative mind with you.  

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!