Style > Beauty

Independent beauty companies that don’t compromise sustainability

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

It’s 2019, people! As easy as it is to ignore the way our own actions impact the world around us, the truth is that the best thing we can try to be from this year forward is to be mindful. That means, among other things, investing in beauty products that come from sustainable, fair-trade and independent companies. 

Here are three of my favorites! 

Alaffia

Alaffia is a sustainable, fair trade natural beauty products company focused on West African activism, based in the U.S. The company was founded by a couple, one of whom is from West Africa, and their activism towards gender equality, maternal health, and education-based projects relies on sales from their products. All the items they create are made from West African ingredients, such as coconut oil and shea butter. The company provides fair wages for the workers in Togo making their products, as well as full medical care, employment security and paid vacation. And moreover, their products so wonderful, well-made and affordable, so this is a great company to try out when you’re just getting started in ethical beauty. Oh, and they’re cruelty free. Check them out! 

Long Winter Farm Soap Co. 

This is a small skin company based in Maine, made in small batches by a a husband and wife. All of their products are not only affordable, but they also smell amazing, feel amazing and are so ridiculously unique! Their ingredients and packaging are sustainable, and they are cruelty free. This is the only place I get perfume oil, and their bar soap is out of this world. 

Captain Blankenship 

Founded by Jana Blankenship, this woman-run company is focused on blending beauty with nature and the sea; all of their packaging is glass and recyclable, and they are also cruelty free, of course. Though their products are a bit more expensive, they’re so worth it, even if you’re just in it for the adorable packaging. 

CC for Mizzou's chapter of Her Campus! I am currently a senior at the Missouri School of Journalism, specializing in magazine editing. Have a wonderful day, you!