If You Love The Office, You’ll Love These Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

“The Office” is a TV show I can watch continually on a loop for days, months and years. Ever since coming to college, it’s been my safety blanket. Repetition is easy, but if you’re up for something new, you don’t have to completely veer off to another genre. Here are some comedies you might be interested in if “The Office” is your ride-or-die.

“Party Down”

This older TV show features the same dry humor as season one of “The Office” did. It tells the story of a group of both eccentric and deadpan characters in a catering business. The only downside is this show appeared on Starz and is almost impossible to find online, so my advice is to just watch it the old-fashioned way on a DVD.

“Documentary Now”

“Documentary Now” takes on the mockumentary style of “The Office” with comedic duo Bill Hader and Fred Armisen. Each episode is a parody-style type of documentary. The humor is subtle but always has me laughing.

“Parks and Recreation”

People who know me will be surprised by this one, but it’s actually pretty similar to “The Office”. The same strategies are used: character interviews, a guy looking into the camera confused (Adam Scott is the new Jim Halpert) and people working in an office. See, the reason I never watch this show is because it’s too similar. But hey, if that’s your thing, stick to it.

“Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”

Erin was one of the kooky characters that always made me laugh. If you haven’t checked out “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”, you’re missing out. Tina Fey co-produces the show (shout out to my other fav, “30 Rock”) and features Ellie Kemper adjusting to life in New York after years stuck in a bunker.

I'm a 30 Rock enthusiast who also loves David Bowie. That's all you need to know.
HC Contributer Mizzou