scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
scene from Bridgerton on Netflix
Shondaland / Netflix

If You Haven’t Watched Netflix’s “Bridgerton,” What Have You Been Doing?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

*CONTAINS SPOLIERS*

Shonda Rhimes’ first Netflix series made IndieWire’s list of most anticipated TV shows in late 2019, and it did not disappoint. “Bridgerton” has already broken records, being Netflix’s most popular series ever. Based on Julia Quinn’s The Duke & I, “Bridgerton” was watched by 82 million households in its first 28 days released. That accounts for a massive 41 percent of Netflix’s global audience.

According to an article posted by Vogue, there were over 7,500 costume pieces made for the first season of “Bridgerton.” The costume design team of 238 people took just five months to prepare the timeless looks before shooting the first episode. 

The British period drama has taken the world by storm, as the eight-episode season begins in 1813 London as Daphne Bridgerton (Phoebe Dynevo) is set to find her future husband. She has been named the season’s “incomparable” by Queen Charlotte (Golda Rosheuvel) herself, making Daphne the most desired young lady of the season. Although she finds herself lonely, as her eldest brother, Anthony (Jonathan Bailey), is overprotective and holding her back from dancing with suitors at the extravagant balls they attend. 

Everything changes when Daphne meets an old friend of Anthony’s, Simon Basset (Regé-Jean Page), who happens to be the Duke of Hastings. Simon is in London to deal with his abusive, late father’s passing. Daphne and Simon decide to make a pact to pretend to be courting, so persistent mothers will stop trying to pair the Duke with their daughter, and Daphne will become more desired by other men. 

The sexy, bodacious drama takes viewers through the characters falling in love and the major struggles they have to overcome, such as the Duke promising his father on his deathbed that he will never marry and the Hastings name will die with him. 

Then, there is the Gossip Girl of it all, Lady Whistledown. Voiced by Julie Andrews, Lady Whistledown’s identity remains a mystery (until the last seconds of the season), as she spreads gossip around the town through scandal sheets. Daphne’s younger sister, Eloise (Claudia Jessie) is determined to divulge the identity of Lady Whistledown, as she is avidly against courting herself and admires Whistledown’s fearlessness. 

The last episode of the season ends with quite the cliffhanger, but luckily the show has been confirmed to have a second season. Contrastingly, season two will be focused on Anthony Bridgerton finding his match, rather than Daphne and the Duke’s new life together. Although, fans are hoping to see flashbacks of Daphne’s first year married to the Duke. 

Season two is set to begin filming in spring of 2021, but it has not been released when the second season will air. Viewers are anticipating another Christmas release date.

Even though the next season of “Bridgerton” will be heavily focused on Anthony, the entire cast from the first season will return, according to a press release posted on shondaland tv’s Instagram

Bridgerton fans can count on more iconic fashion moments, breathtaking balls, intimate encounters and surprising plot-twists in seasons to come.

Jordan Thornsberry is a student at the University of Missouri-Columbia, studying magazine journalism. In her free time, Jordan likes to travel, read and catch up on the latest celebrity drama. You can find more of her writing at jordantberry.com and on social media at @jordantberry.
Full-time student at the University of Missouri-Columbia (Mizzou), working two jobs, running organizations, and striving to be the best woman possible.