Style > Beauty

I Tested Drugstore Self Tanners So You Don’t Have To

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Every summer I spend hours laying out in the sun, taking long walks in shorts and tank tops and doing anything I can outside to get a beautiful, golden tan. Once fall rolls around my tan has faded and I am left wanting the beautiful tan I had achieved during the summer. Sound familiar? 

Self tanner is a great option for a year-round tan or achieving a “I just laid outside all day” look without the harmful sun exposure. I tested out various drugstore self tanners so that you don’t have to, here are my top four picks. 

L’Oreal Paris Sublime Bronze Hydrating Self Tanning Water Mousse

L’Oreal Paris is one of the last brands I would have expected to have such a reliable and even self-tanner, but this tan in a bottle is simply the best considering the price. At $11.99, this bottle will last you a few applications (depending on tan level you’re going for). It’s easy to apply, you pump some water mousse into your hand, and apply all over. The directions on the back of the bottle say you can leave this on for four to eight before showering, or apply three times over the span of 12-14 hours for longer lasting results. Personally, I applied this product twice over 12 hours before showering. The results were phenomenal; an even and natural looking tan with little to no streaking. This product is perfect for those looking to tan quickly with results that last a week or more. 

b.tan Tanned AF Bronzing Mist

I recently found out about b.tan when shopping for self tanner at my local Walmart, though I have had friends who have sworn up and down about this product. The bronzing mist is $9.97, and definitely worth every penny. This product uses a continuous misting method to efficiently coat the skin with the false tanner. While the mist is wonderful for getting full body results, it took a spray or two to begin misting continuously leaving some splotches of product on my skin, this can easily be fixed by using a mitt to blend the product. This bronzing mist dries quickly, you only have to wait an hour before showering. In addition to the high quality tan you will receive, b.tan as a brand is cruelty free. This product in specific is vegan, paraben free, sustainably sourced and recyclable. In the end, you’re left with a high quality tan with a fraction of the wait time of the L’Oreal Paris tanner.

SOL by Jergens Deeper by the Drop Serum 

SOL by Jergens is a completely different tanning method that provides full and even coverage. Instead of putting the product directly on your skin and waiting for it to process, the tanning water goes into a moisturizer of your choice and then applied. I love that this product gives the user the opportunity to use the moisturizer of their choice meaning no sticky residue and no self tanner smell. Because this self tanner is applied when using the moisturizer of your choice you don’t have to wait around to shower, making this the perfect tan for people with tight schedules. Because this self tanner isn’t applied directly to the skin it takes a little longer to build a tan and will need multiple applications to reach a darker tan. I personally found the SOL by Jergens perfect for keeping up with a tan in between using a full body tanner like the b.tan or L’Oreal products. A bottle of SOL by Jergens costs $17.99 at Target, but it lasts a long time considering you only need 3-15 drops per application, depending on the level of darkness you wish to receive. 

Jergens Natural Glow Sunless Tanning In-Shower Body Lotion

Jergens in-shower body lotion is incredibly powerful for getting a natural looking tan fast. The $8.64 bottle from Walmart is easy to apply and gives lasting results. This self tanner is applied at the end of your shower like a lotion while your body is still wet. No need to rinse off the residue, simply apply and go about your morning routine. Just like the SOL by Jergens, this product needs multiple uses to produce a darker tan but is perfect in between the use of a traditional at home self tanner. One other thing I noticed about this product is that it creates lines easily, so ensuring that the product is blended into your skin is super important for creating a seamless tan. 

Self tanning is a healthier way to achieve a beautiful summer tan without risking exposure to harmful UV rays. Choosing the right self tanner can be dependent on your skin type, schedule and desired depth of tan.  While learning what best suits your skin may be challenging, these drugstore brands are great stepping stones to learning more about which self tanner works best for you. 

Adrian is an undergraduate student studying journalism at the University of Missouri in Columbia, Mo.