How to Wear Pastels This Spring Without Looking Like an Easter Egg

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Spring is in the air, and it’s time to trade in the dark shades we’ve all been loving in our winter wardrobe for some fun and flirty pastels. No matter your hair color or skin complexion, you can still pull off this classic spring style (without looking too much like a festively decorated Easter egg). What is it about pastel colors that sometimes scream, “I’m here for the chocolate bunnies?” Here are 5 ways to mix up this spring trend to fit your own personal style this season.

1. Cut it out

Trendy cut-outs are a surefire way to make sure your spring look screams chic. More and more designers are creating dresses, tops, jumpsuits and rompers with sleek cutouts to add some extra pizazz to the look. So, go ahead, find your favorite style in the perfect shade of spring pastel.

2. Perfectly printed

Prints and patterns often have more than just one color, so go for a style that pairs pastel with a darker, bolder color like black, dark blue or emerald green. Your staple pastel will still be prominent in the look but not quite as overbearing. 

3. Accessories to admire 

A bold accessory like a statement necklace, dangly earrings, a chunky bracelet or a bright colored belt is sure to draw all eyes to you. Throw on a mint green, baby pink or powder blue dress and add your favorite necklace to draw the attention to your stylish accessories.

4. Keepin’ the contrast

Adding a bold statement color in your makeup can add great contrast to your overall look. Try pairing your favorite pastel yellow romper with a bright pink lip for an extra pop of color.

5. Trendy twist up

All eyes on…your shoes? Yes! Printed shoes are majorly IN this spring, especially brightly-colored floral prints. A solid pastel-colored dress can be amped up on the trend meter by throwing on your new pair of pumps with a mixture of rockin’ vibrant color tones.

These tips are sure to take your Easter style from “decorated egg” to chic and trendy. If you’re excited for the egg hunts and the chocolate bunnies that are quickly approaching us this April, show your festive spirit by including pastels in your seasonal wardrobe.

HC Contributer Mizzou