This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Spring Break is almost here! But first… midterms. Every MU student approaches their first, or even second, round of exams differently; some have been preparing since the first day of class. For others, this may be the first time they open the book. Midterms are stressful for everyone, no matter what kind of student you are. To help relieve that stress, here is some advice from students on either end of the preparedness spectrum. Hopefully, it helps you survive.

Tips from a 4.0 student.

1. Study in increments. Study for an hour at a time and make sure you are actively studying. Review notes on a certain topic. Then take a break. Then move on to a new topic. Take the practice tests. If you are writing a paper, break down the process into steps. Outline the paper, collect the research you need, and then write each of the paragraphs. Take breaks in between but edit in one fluid step so the paper flows. 

2. Eat healthy and exercise. The better you feel, the more you will be able to focus. Sugar and caffeine will only make you crash after a few hours. Getting in a workout is a good way to relieve stress when you have been studying all day. Exercising also get your blood flowing, which will energize you and help you focus.

3. Get the recommended amount of sleep. Studies also show that you preform better when you are well rested. Mostly, I find that I have a hard time falling asleep when I am anxious about a big test. Sleep by Nuero has melatonin in it, which is a hormone that helps regulate your sleep cycle. It will help you fall asleep, but won’t make it difficult for you to rise and grind tomorrow. We <3 the Tangerine Dream flavor.

Tips from a non-4.0 student.

1. Caffeine. Diet coke and coffee are your two main substances. The caffeine will keep you awake so you can pull the inevitable all-nighter necessary after procrastinating as long as you have.

2. Use your resources. Look on Blackboard for old exams or tips from the teacher. Websites like StudyBlue and Quizlet have flashcards and quizzes created by students for certain classes. If you search for your teacher, often you can find exactly what you’ll need to know for the right test.

3. Find friends. Chances are someone in your class has made a study guide for the test. Get in contact with this person. Studying with others can also cut down on time understanding the material being covered on the exam. You don’t want to waste time studying the wrong material, so find a buddy and camp out in Ellis together.

Final tip: Rub David R. Francis’ nose. It can’t hurt.

Freshman J-school student at University of Missouri. Originally from Atlanta, Georgia and a southern girl at heart.
HC Contributer Mizzou