How To: Ombre Your Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

What do Beyonce, the Kardashians and Rachel Bilson have in common? How about amazing style! They all have even rocked the ombre.

Ombre is when the bottom part of your hair is typically two shades lighter than the rest of your hair. However, you can ombre your hair any color!

But the best thing about the ombre hairstyle is its’ versatility. It looks amazing on all hair types and you ombre almost none or most of your hair.

Let’s make our hair fabulous!  You will only need your choice of dye kit. 

(Clairol offers great dyes for all hair textures)

Step 1: Mix your dye of choice as described on the box instructions.

Step 2: Decide on the portion of hair you would like to dye and split into about 80 sections.

Step 3: Apply dye. Start at the lowest part of hair and work your way up. It makes for a better of transitioning with the colors.

Step 4: Let dye set for as directed on the box instructions. (I’d recommend applying the dye two times)

Step 5: If the hair is not as light as you’d like, reapply for deeper color.

Step 6: Condition your hair or apply a leave-in. Dying your hair can dry your hair so conditioner puts back nutrients.

Let it air dry or blow dry. Now, it’s time to embrace your fierceness!

Work it! It looks great. 

She's a junior at the University of Missouri - Columbia, studying journalism with a strategic communication emphasis and a business minor. She hopes to be a part of the advertising world soon. She loves reading magazines, watching sports, and hanging out with family and friends.
Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.