This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

No one said taking care of a plant could be this tough. During my first year of college, I managed to kill both my cacti in a matter of months (RIP Rupert and Sheila). At the time, I thought it’d be a lot cooler to own some sort of plant and be a part of the major Tumblr plant aesthetic that seemed to be growing. Looking back with love for Rupert and his companion, and with hope that you’ll love your plants better than I did, here are some major tips to keep your plants satisfied and full of life!

A Pocketful of Sunshine

An inadequate amount of sunlight is a guaranteed way to decrease the life span of your plants. Too much and they’ll dry out, while too little will cause them to shrivel up. Try alternating the amount of sunlight intake by letting it sit in the sun for a few hours each day then moving it to a more shaded area of your apartment or room.

Spoil them with Soil

For us cacti and succulent lovers, the type of soil does matter. Since succulents need to drain well, dumping sand or rocks in your pot for aesthetic appeal won’t cut it. A well-draining soil mix will allow the water to flow through without building up in the pot.

No Air, No Air

This is what your little green guys are singing every time you cram them into a glass container or tiny terrarium. Lack of air can have a negative effect on these guys and cause them to suffocate! With such a small amount of air circulation, it’s only a matter of time before they wither and die. Leave your plant in an area that has good air circulation and isn’t too dry.

Everyone Loves Food

Especially your plants. Bringing them home causes them to lose out on a lot of the nutrients they receive in their natural environments. You can find fertilizer or plant food specifically tailored to feed your little green guys in most of the gardening sections at Lowe’s or Home Depot.

Hope Isn’t Lost

You’ve invested all your love and these awesome tips into your little friend, and it stills seems to be fading? Don’t give up on it yet! After a lack of TLC, some plants need time to get back in shape. Just because it appears unhealthy doesn’t mean it’s dead. Continue to nurture it, trim off a few dead leaves or stems and give it some time.

Mizzou alumni with a passion for writing
HC Contributer Mizzou