body images 2018 09 17 velcronative4png?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2018 09 17 velcronative4png?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Decor

How to Make the Perfect Vision Board

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Vision boards are the perfect way to manifest your dreams, add cute decor to your room and give you the daily boost of serotonin you need. There isn’t a template for an exact way to make a vision board, because it’s supposed to be unique to whoever is making it. However, you want it to be effective and not a waste of space on the wall, so there are a handful of things you want on it to make sure it’s effective. 

Vision boards are great because they can change whenever you want. It’s important to pinpoint a time frame for how long you want your board to serve your needs. It can be for decorative purposes, future goal setting or to help you live more in the moment and appreciate the little things. Vision boards can be a collage of images on your desktop, a collage on a bulletin board in your room or you can make them online, print them out and tape/glue them on to a poster to hang on your wall. It all comes down to personal preference and whichever medium is going to serve your needs the best. 

– Pick a color scheme 

Choosing a color scheme can not only keep your vision board more focused, but also help your board look more aesthetically pleasing and help you find more general photos to fill up blank space. Pinterest is going to be a huge go-to during this process ,and there are tons of different color palettes and themes to choose from. Pinterest can also help with finding cute graphics with quotes or aesthetically pleasing photos to layer within your goal oriented photos. 

– Prioritize your future goals 

Vision boards are the perfect space for manifesting future goals and giving you something to look forward to for the future. Finding images that highlight your dream job, dream city to live in or dream home can motivate you to work harder towards those goals or to help visualize your aspirations. Busy schedules and stressful nights make it hard to see the end goal and can make you lose sight of why you’re here in the first place, so having a constant reminder will really help with those struggles. 

– Utilize quotes and words of affirmation

Picking a few motivational quotes or sayings is another great way to constantly motivate yourself and add another layer to your vision board. Again, Pinterest is going to be a perfect resource for this and it’s also going to help with finding quote wallpapers that fit your color scheme. 

– Life’s little moments

If you want your board to help you live more in the moment, printing out pictures of things that make your heart happy or things that you’re currently obsessing over is perfect for that. Putting pictures of your friends or images that represent current accomplishments can be another solid addition to your vision board. If you find yourself being too focused on the future and need help living in the moment, this could be a great opportunity to start doing that, and it’s an easy reminder to continue building that habit.

If you’re ever stuck and don’t know which direction you want to go with your board, there are plenty of examples on Pinterest, and keep in mind that it doesn’t have to be an absolutely perfect creation. It’s for your own personal use and everyone’s is going to look different, but looking at examples can help with photo placement or pinpoint something your board is missing. I hope these tips help and give you a new and fun project to work on during your free time! 

Sophia Donis

Mizzou '23

I’m a Journalism major with a minor in Political Science from the Chicago suburbs! I love interior design, spending time with my friends and snuggling up with a good book!
Jordan Thornsberry is a student at the University of Missouri-Columbia, studying magazine journalism. In her free time, Jordan likes to travel, read and catch up on the latest celebrity drama. You can find more of her writing at jordantberry.com and on social media at @jordantberry.