This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Buying a planner is more than picking the one with the prettiest front page, there are layers to what makes a good planner and what will work with your schedule. Some people can run into Walmart and find a planner that suits them perfectly, while others may need to create a personalized planner on a website. 

Before picking, consider what your daily schedule looks like. If your everyday task list changes daily or hourly, a planner that is monthly, weekly, daily would allow for you to plan individual days out, while looking at different events coming up during the month. Someone with similar daily tasks throughout the month may look into a monthly planner that has room for notes but omits sections for daily tasks. You may also think about what your weeks look like. If you mentally prepare for the week on Sunday, purchase a planner that starts daily and monthly on Sunday. 

Students may be interested in purchasing academic planners that begin in August and end in May. People with work schedules or internships may find more success with year round planners or planners with bonus months. Even as a student, using a year round planner can help prepare during winter and summer breaks to plan vacations or begin to plan for the next semester. 

Finding a planner that works with you and your schedule is detrimental to finding an organized space for yourself. Planning in advance allows for better time management, a skill that is important in careers and internships. Studying your schedule and researching the planners you’re interested in can help boost your skills as a student.

Adrian is an undergraduate student studying journalism at the University of Missouri in Columbia, Mo.
HC Contributer Mizzou