How To Embrace Being A Third Wheel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Third wheeling to some may seem like a hassle or something to avoid at all costs. But I have learned to accept it and appreciate its many art forms and even learn that it can be fun sometimes. However, not all people can master this art. It takes many years of skill, which (luckily?) I have. Here are a few tips to ensure that your third-wheeling experience stays at a minimal awkward level.

1. Keep an open mind.

Yes, third wheeling may seem terrible and kind of pathetic, but in reality it’s just a way to hang out with friends and have a good time. I mean, both parties obviously want you there or else they wouldn’t have accepted your invitation to invite yourself to hangout with them, right?

2. Assess the situation.

This means that you have to adapt to whom you are third wheeling with. Is it with your best friend and her boyfriend? Or is it with your mom’s second cousins stepdaughters’ boyfriend? Situation one could be fun because hopefully you have met you best friends boyfriend, but the second situation might require some back up.

3. Make appropriate adjustments if necessary.

After getting a feel for how the people you are third wheeling with act with one another, you can change your manner accordingly. If they’re comfortable with another, then there is no reason you shouldn’t be comfortable with them. But if they seem tense, then try to lighten the mood.

4. Don’t ignore the situation.

The worst thing you can do is to not talk and pretend to text someone the whole time. Basically, all you have to do is engage in the conversation and the rest will fall into place.

5. Know that they can return the favor.

“Hey, remember that time I went with you to hang out with Ethan at Chipotle…” If you use some variation of this, you will without a doubt have a friend to go with you somewhere at all times.

Happy third wheeling!

Sarah Kloepple is a junior journalism student at Mizzou. She embraces her addiction to good television and the fact that she knows way too much movie trivia. Originally from St. Louis, Sarah loves spending time with family and friends and stopping frequently at any good frozen custard place (preferably Ted Drewe's). When she's not with her oldest friend Netflix, you can find her typing furiously on her computer somewhere or reading a good book outside. Follow her on Twitter: @skloep.