This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

There’s more litter and single used plastic waste now than ever because of the precautions we have to take. The extra time on our hands also encourages consumerism. It’s super hard to be environmentally conscious when we’re in the middle of a global pandemic and people are rightfully worried about their health and safety, especially those who live with vulnerable persons. Having said that, it’s a fine line to walk between being extra safe and keeping your carbon footprint small. Here are five ways you can remain eco conscious during this time.

Build a bee sanctuary.

You can grow flowers, herbs, and other plants bees are attracted to, so that these little guys will hangout on your balcony, or porch, or whatever space is available for you to plant on. The bee population (and in particular, the honey bee population) is rapidly declining, and many species are already endangered. Bees pollinate plants, helping these plant and flower populations.

Skip the gloves.

If you’re not on the frontlines, disposable gloves aren’t going to do much for you. The virus can’t penetrate your skin, but rather can only infect through your mouth, nose, or eyes, so if you get the virus on your hands, with or without gloves, you are equally likely to become infected through touching your face. Rather than wear gloves, the CDC and many doctors are recommending hand washing as a more sanitary solution. If gloves do make you feel better, reusable rubber gloves that can be sanitized will reduce waste and save you money.

Use reusable bags.

Studies show this is not a means of transportation of coronavirus, and a bunch of stores are welcoming them again. In addition, the plastic bags have been through more than a few different places before arriving at the store, but at least you know where your reusable bags have been.

Avoid wipes.

Sanitizing is super important, but wipes aren’t the move. Purell and sanitizing sprays are better for cleaning for multiple reasons- it creates less waste, but it also sanitizes better. Using a spray covers surfaces more evenly, especially porous surfaces. Bacteria and viruses can get trapped in pores and crevices and wipes can’t get to them, but sprays will. In addition, sprays are better because sanitizers are supposed to sit on the object you’re cleaning to fully kill all viruses and bacteria, and wipes don’t stay on for long enough.

Cook more.

Takeout containers and plastic packaging is a huge source of litter. Instead of taking out food and buying prepaid, plastic wrapped meals and desserts from the store, try cooking and baking. You have more time at home now than ever.

Biochemistry major and psychology minor, Mizzou Class of 2021
HC Contributer Mizzou