Home Sweet Help: Your Guide to Off-Campus Living

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

This semester’s classes have barely begun, but it’s already time to start thinking about where to live next year. Maybe you’re currently living on campus and hoping to move out of your not-so-spacious dorm room and into the comforts of having your own bathroom and kitchen. Perhaps you already live off-campus but are looking for a change. Her Campus Mizzou is here to help you find the perfect place!

When it comes to living off-campus, some students say having more space is the biggest issue for them. “Having your own personal space is the absolute best part to me,” sophomore Chloe Alexander says. “Not only do I have my own living quarters, but I also have my own bathroom, even though I share my apartment with three other girls.”

Living off-campus also provides the ability to do things you cannot in the dorms. However, it does come with added responsibilities. “Moving off-campus has been the best choice of my sophomore year,” Sierra Angell says. “My roommate and I have adjusted well to paying bills. Plus, we have had a great time cooking, decorating and simply having more space!”

Sophomore Gabrielle Sullivan recommends living off-campus if you are thinking about it at all. “What I like about Copper Beech is that it is a home away from home,” she says. “I would recommend it to anyone who liked the feel of living in the dorms but needs a little more space. You get your own bedroom and bathroom, but you still can have awesome roommates.”

Note: All prices given are per month, per person.

Brookside Downtown (120 S. 10th)

Price: $649-$787, depending on the number of bedrooms, furnished or non-furnished and if utilities are included
Distance from campus: within walking distance
Details & Amenities: Brookside is now offering apartments at its new downtown location (only two-bedroom apartments are available at the townhome location). Each apartment includes cable, Internet and a washer and dryer. You can also enjoy private balconies that offer a view of downtown Columbia. The Brookside Bus runs every Thursday, Friday and Saturday until 2 a.m. For more information, visit www.brooksidedowntown.com.

Campus Lodge (2900 Old Highway 63 South)

Price: $440-$460
Distance from campus: approximately eight minutes (includes a free shuttle to and from campus)
Details & Amenities: Campus Lodge apartments come with a fully furnished living room, kitchen and bedrooms. Campus Lodge offers four-bedroom units, which come with their own bathrooms and are ready for Internet and cable. Each unit comes with a 42-inch plasma TV and a full-size washer and dryer. Utilities are included in your monthly rent and leases are done individually. There is a 24-hour fitness center and computer lab, swimming pool, basketball and sand volleyball courts and tanning beds. For more information, visit www.campuslodgecolumbia.com.

Copper Beech (3217 Old Highway 63 South)

Price: $425-$665, depending on the number of bedrooms
Distance from campus: approximately eight minutes (offers a shuttle to and from campus for an additional fee)
Details & Amenities: Copper Beech offers spacious one-bedroom to four-bedroom apartments that can come either furnished or non-furnished. Each bedroom includes a full-size bathroom. Copper Beech has free Internet and cable, and each unit comes with a large-capacity washer and dryer. The kitchen has a dishwasher, garbage disposal, microwave, refrigerator and breakfast bar. There is also a fitness center and game room in the Copper Beech Clubhouse. For more information, visit www.cbeech.com/columbiamo.htm.

The Cottages (2400 E. Nifong Blvd.)

Price: $480-$620, depending on the number of bedrooms
Distance from campus: approximately 10 minutes
Details & Amenities: At The Cottages, you can enjoy living in your own house. Take your pick of two-, three- or four-bedroom houses, each of which includes a washer and dryer, Internet and basic cable. Each bedroom also has its own bathroom with polished marble countertops. The kitchen has stainless steel appliances and granite countertops. You will also have access to the clubhouse, which has a fitness center, computer lab, tanning salons and a pool. The Cottages are also pet-friendly. For more information, visit www.thecottagesofcolumbia.com.

Gateway at Columbia (3904 Buttonwood Dr.)

Price: $435-$524, depending on the number of bedrooms
Distance from campus: approximately nine minutes (includes a free shuttle to and from campus)
Details & Amenities: Apartments range from two-bedroom/two-bathroom to four- bedroom/four-bathroom and come fully furnished. Gateway offers individual leases, a 42-inch Plasma TV and free cable. Each bedroom also includes free Internet and a walk-in closet. Residents can enjoy the 24-hour fitness center and computer lab, stand-up tanning bed, billiards room, sand volleyball and basketball courts, pool and Jacuzzi, BBQ area and reserved covered parking. For more information, visit www.gatewayatcolumbia.com.

Grindstone Canyon (3101 Old Highway 63 South)

Price: $350-$670, depending on the number of bedrooms
Distance from campus: approximately eight minutes
Details & Amenities: Grindstone offers one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments, and all have individual bathrooms. All units include a washer and dryer, cable, a microwave, dishwasher and private balconies or patios. Select units include a LCD HD TV and are furnished. Free Internet will also be available soon. Garages and security systems are available. As a resident of Grindstone Canyon, you have access to the clubhouse, which has a tanning salon, theater room, computer lab, weight room and pool table. There is also a pool and hot tub. For more information, visit www.grindstonecanyon.com.

The Reserve (2500 Old Highway 63 South)

Price: $395-$699, depending on the number of bedrooms and bathrooms
Details & Amenities: Using individual leases, The Reserve offers fully furnished apartments and your choice of seven different floor plans. Each apartment includes a washer and dryer, cable and Wi-Fi in the common area. Residents have access to picnic areas and community grills, a pool, storage units and a tanning dome. If you want to live here, though, you have to hurry. The Reserve is projected to be full by March 1. For more information, visit www.reserveatcolumbia.com.

University Place (1205 University Ave.)

Price: $240-$480, depending on the lease term, the number of bedrooms and the type of apartment
Details & Amenities: University Place offers fully furnished apartments with private bedrooms and free cable and Internet. Utilities and central air are included in your monthly rent. There are laundry facilities, an exercise and fitness room, an on-site Mizzou computer lab and 24-hour security. According to University Place, three-bedroom apartments are almost full, but two-bedroom apartments are projected to be available until May. For more information, visit www.studentapartmentscolumbiamo.com.

Kelsey Mirando is a senior at the University of Missouri, class of 2011, studying Magazine Journalism, English and Sociology. Born and raised in Tulsa, Okla., Kelsey enjoys travel, volunteerism and any Leonardo DiCaprio movie. She is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity and has served as President of the Society of Professional Journalists, MU chapter. She has reported among the Tiger fans of Columbia, Mo., the hustle and bustle of Beijing and the bright lights of New York City. Kelsey recently completed the American Society of Magazine Editors (ASME) summer internship program and is now soaking up every moment of her senior year at Mizzou.