Here’s What We Can Take Away from the Way Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan are Handling Their Split

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

As if Mondays aren’t already bad enough — we received devastating news via both Channing Tatum and Jenna Dewan’s Instagram accounts on April 2.

The couple has called it quits after nine years of marriage. Yes, we’re STILL sobbing. TBH, this might be worse than the recent breakup of Zayn and Gigi. Actually, it’s definitely worse because the public was pretty much blindsided by the announcement. Tatum had been posting Instagram photos of Dewan, and according to the New York Daily News, Dewan even sported her wedding ring at a public outing in L.A. just hours before they announced their split. 

But there are a few things the couple has done in light of the recent surface of their breakup to reassure us that love isn’t actually dead — despite the widespread reaction of fans on social media. 

According to People, the couple had been working on their marriage for quite awhile before announcing their split to the public and had actually been “separated for months.” 

A source close to the couple told the magazine, “This has been a long time coming. Like any marriage, they’ve had their ups and downs over the years but they really started to grow apart within the last year.”

Photo source

Channing and Jenna began dating in 2006 after starring in the movie Step Up together. The couple said “I do” in 2009, and now have one five-year-old daughter, Everly. The former couple said they are still a family and will still continue to be dedicated parents to their daughter. 

In the joint statement announcing their split the pair made it clear the separation was on good terms. “Absolutely nothing has changed about how much we love one another, but love is a beautiful adventure that is taking us on different paths for now,” they said. “There are no secrets nor salacious events at the root of our decision — just two best-friends realizing it’s time to take some space and help each other live the most joyous, fulfilled lives as possible.”

Shortly after the news of their breakup surfaced, rumors began to fly about what caused the couple’s troubles. Despite the fact that the pair had already said they would not be commenting any further, speculation that Channing’s accused partying and flirting was the reason for their split lead both of the stars’ reps to shut down the rumors. 

In a statement to People, a rep for Dewan said she was “Happy to clarify that absolutely none of these rumors are true,” in response to the speculation that Channing’s behavior was to blame. The couple’s announcement of their breakup was so positive because that is the “reality of the situation.”

A rep for Tatum was also quick to stop any chatter of possible causes for the breakup, telling E! News, that “The media is fabricating stories and none of these accusations are remotely true.” 

Photo source

Channing and Jenna’s split may be devastating, but the way the couple is respecting each other through the process just makes them an even better definition of couple goals. Even though their marriage may have come to an end, they made it very clear there were no “secrets or salacious events” that lead to their choice and were quick to shut down any rumors that may have said otherwise. They have stated they will still be dedicated parents to their daughter, Everly. The fact that they are making an effort to make this public breakup as smooth as possible is, well, everything. 

Although the odds of the couple getting back together are reportedly slim, People reports the two are collaborating on a YouTube series called Step Up: High Water, which they will both executive produce. While we mourn the split of one of our favorite celeb couples, we can rest assured knowing their relationship ended on the best possible terms.