HCM’s Best Of The Best In Columbia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Looking for the best place to eat waffles? How about the best place to do your grocery shopping? Well look no further; Her Campus Mizzou has you covered. We’ve chosen the 11 best spots in Columbia for collegiettes. We believe you all deserve to lead your lives in the finest way!  

Best restaurant in town: Flat Branch Pub & Brewing
If you haven’t been to Flat Branch, chances are you’re either new to Columbia or you don’t know what good food truly is. Having served countless local families with mouth-watering comfort food since 1994, the restaurant is also the first brewery in town. Collegiettes who are 21 and up can try their Ed’s I.P.A. or Honey Wheat. They won’t be disappointed! The fountain flavored cream soda is one of our top picks, too.
115 S. Fifth St.
(573) 499-0400

Best pizza place: Shakespeare’s Pizza
If only we’d get a dollar for every time it’s been selected as the best pizza place in town. Better yet, it’s been named the best college hangout by Good Morning America. It’s been around 30 years and counting. Go get ‘em Shakespeare’s!
225 S. Ninth St.
(573) 449-2454

Best breakfast place: Ernie’s Café & Steak House
As the second oldest restaurant in town, Ernie’s knows how to serve your breakfast right. A day that starts with their two eggs any style along with some old-fashioned hash browns and fluffy French toast is guaranteed to be a good one.
1005 E. Walnut St.
(573) 874-7804

Best place for iced treats: Sparky’s Homemade Ice Cream AND Yogo Luv
I guess the cicada-flavored ice cream from last summer did startle some of us a bit, but Sparky’s deserves to be recognized for its inventiveness and creativity. Plus its mango ice cream is to-die-for. Try it, please, if you haven’t already.
21 S. Ninth St.
(573) 443-7400

Yogo Luv is hands down the best frozen yogurt bar in town! Healthy, vegan-friendly selections; a wide range of toppings; friendly employees; and a Columbia original – what more could you ask for?
201 S. Ninth St.
(573) 777-9694

Best local grocery store: The Root Cellar
Located right in the hub of the North Village Arts District, this local grocery store strives to provide Columbia residents with fresh and high-quality produce and products from mid-Missouri. The Root Cellar also carries a limited number of fair trade products.
1023 E. Walnut St.
(573) 443 5055

[pagebreak]

Best fashion boutique: Envy AND Swank
For fashionistas on a budget, Envy carries a large variety of designs ranging from clothes and shoes to bags and jewelry. The best part is they’re affordable and trendy.
814 East Broadway  
(573) 442-0712

Swank carries a ton of edgy and fashion-forward merchandise, but they tend to break the bank. Still, it’s the perfect boutique in town to shop for those staples that will never go out of style.  
921 East Broadway  
(573) 256-4795

Best vintage/thrift store: Blackberry Exchange
This local vintage store is bigger and better than ever since they’ve taken up residence in the building that used to be Belle Boutique. In addition to a massive selection of second-hand and dead-stock (old but unworn) merchandise, they also buy and sell brand name items. And don’t forget about the 1-dollar rack! Oh my!
22 S. Ninth St.
(573) 499-0420

Best coffeehouse: Lakota Coffee
Forget about Starbucks (even if their caramel macchiato is unbelievably addictive). Local café Lakota excels in not only serving fresh roasted and aromatic coffee selected from around the world but also in providing a one-of-a-kind, relaxing atmosphere for its customers.
24 S. Ninth St.
(573) 874-2852

Best live music venue: The Blue Note
Another landmark of Columbia, this 30-year-old music venue has brought well-known artists to the local music scene. We’re especially excited for The White Panda and Christina Perri, who will perform March 16 and 17 respectively.
17 N. Ninth St.
(573) 874-1944

Best local festival: True/False Film Festival
This year’s festival might be over, but many of us indie-documentary fanatics are still reminiscing about the screenings and the thriving downtown filled with music, directors and film critics from all over the world. True/False is arguably the best thing that has happened to Columbia.

Best bar and club: Harpo’s and 10 Below  
All week Harpo’s offers drink specials, including $1 bottles and $1 well drinks. It’s attached to 10 Below, one of the latest additions to Columbia’s nightlife that’s constantly booming on Friday and Saturday nights. Keep in mind that they’re both 21-and-up venues and there’s a $5 cover charge (except for Ladie’s Night on Friday!).   
29 S. Tenth St. (10 Below in Alley A)
(573) 443-5418

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!