HCM Staff Weighs In: Why We Love Our Moms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

We asked our staff to share some reasons why they love their moms in honor of Mother’s Day… Coming up with answers wasn’t a difficult task!  Here are the reasons we love our moms and think they deserve a Momma’s Day shout-out:

“I love my mom because she’s my best friend. She’s the only person who understands when I vent and knows exactly what to say. She’s graciously passed on her bargain-hunting skills, and shopping will bond us together for life. She would do anything for anyone, and I couldn’t ask for a better woman as my mom. Love you, Mary!” Beth Steffens

“I love my mom for a whole series of novels worth of reasons.  But one reason really sticks out to me right now: whenever I call my mom, the way she says “hello” always makes me feel like I’ve made her day by calling… even if I just called her the other night.  She’s always so genuinely happy to hear from me or see me.  She is one of the most loving people I know and I can always count on her.  She’s the Lorelei to my Rory for sure.” – Brooke Hofer

“I love my mom because I know I can count on her whenever I need to talk about something new and exciting or when something bad happens. I have been very lucky to be able to share special moments with my mom whether it is crashing on the couch on Monday nights to watch the Bachelor or when she comes to Mizzou to support me for academic achievements. I love my mom and couldn’t be happier to celebrate her this Mother’s Day!” – Katie Niemiec

“I love my mom because she is has always been my biggest advocate. Her faith in me has propelled me to achieve much more than I ever thought I could. She has always been there for me as a friend and a role model. She is one of the most selfless, talented, dedicated, hard working women I know and deserve a day in her honor!” – Taylor Marie Esler

“I love my mom because I know that everything she has done in life has been for my brother and me. She works so hard and has sacrificed so much that it teaches me what it means to love. Whether I call her every day or every week, I know that she’ll always pick up the phone. No matter how many mistakes I make, she’ll always forgive me. No matter what decision I make, she’ll support me every step of the way. I love you, Mom!” – Alicia Tan

“I love my mom because when I tried to run away at 3 years old she let me.  She let me fall, she let me fail, she let me poop in the tub, yet she was always there to clean it up.  The true measure of a parent is how they let their child discover himself through trial and error.  Momma Bear never commandeered my decisions, but she’s yet to lead me towards the wrong one. Love you, mommy.” -Kyle Gunby

“I can honestly say my mom is one of my best friends! She is one of most independent, selfless people I know. She’s there for me through both my successes and failures and at the end of the day is always proud of me. She always knows exactly what to say when I vent about my problems, or just to say hello. We talk on the phone more than a 20 year-old college student probably should, but half the time we’re just talking about our days or the latest sales at our favorite department stores. Love you, Mom!”  -Emma Reynolds

Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.