david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Halloween Costumes that are Probably Already in Your Closet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Halloween is approaching and there are a million reasons why you might not have your costume together yet: maybe you’re trying to save money, maybe you don’t know what you want to be, or maybe you just can’t help but procrastinate. Whatever the reason, there are plenty of outfits for Halloween that you can find right at home! Here are some basics that you can turn into a costume.

Old Homecoming Dresses

Let’s be honest, the dress you wore for freshman year homecoming will probably never make a comeback. You can take an old homecoming dress and go as a Barbie. Another take could be a Carrie-callback. You’d just have to be totally okay with parting with your dress. To do this, drench yourself in fake red blood and you’re sure to be the center of attention.

A Robe

If you’re like me, freshman year forced me to buy a robe that I have never used since. You can dress up your robe by being a boxer. Just wear a sports bra and basketball shorts underneath. You could also dress up your robe if you wanted to put extra effort into your outfit and make yourself look like a royal queen.

A Striped Tee

We probably all have at least one black and white striped T-shirt and there are so many costumes to create with it! You could go as a mime and pair it with black leggings. All you’d need is some face paint. You could be a prisoner and make yourself a nameplate out of cardboard around your neck. You can even be a crook and wear an eye mask while carrying around a sack of money.

A Leather Jacket

Pair the classic leather jacket with some roughed up gloves and add a graphic tee and you can go as a biker. You could also be a groupie from the 80s if you just remove the gloves and tease up your hair.

Anything Else You Might Have

Everyone’s closet is different, so look for any unique pieces you own! We all have that one thing we won’t throw away but we never wear it. Use your imagination and come up with an awesome costume without having to spend a dime.

I'm a 30 Rock enthusiast who also loves David Bowie. That's all you need to know.
HC Contributer Mizzou