This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

From the famous curvy mirror to the cloudlike coffee table, Gustaf Westman’s cartoon-like furniture has been taking over everyone’s feed.

Gustaf Westman is a young designer based in Stockholm, Sweden that is leading the Scandinavian decor style at the moment. He studied architecture at Chalmers University in Gothenburg but has since designed furniture that is contemporary and playful. His pieces are defined by their unique and rounded shapes, all coated in a pastel hue. 

The curvy mirror, Westman’s most recognizable piece, encased in a squiggly frame of buttery yellow, lilac, blush pink and more is one of the many pieces of his curvy collection. The young designer also recently added a new curvy table mini that resembles puzzle pieces stacked precisely together. His collection also features a chunky table with rounded edges, a curvy sideboard to display books, accordion flower pots and more. 

He cites his inspiration from Danish designers such as Hans Wegner and fashion. Westman has helped define the playful, yet simplistic aesthetic while also being devoted to his goal of an accessible, local, small-scale production with a unique design that many can buy. Along with his unique but simplistic designs, Westman tries to apply this same concept in his life by recommending to only buy the stuff you really like and by using local and long-lasting materials. The most common material he uses is wood but he’s expecting to experiment with future projects such as using recycled paper.

Today, Gustaf Westman’s designs are available to purchase on his website, but many choose to take inspiration from the designer and make the pieces themselves.

You can see more of Westman’s impressive designs on his Instagram.

Hi! My name’s Makenna and I’m currently studying textile and apparel management at Mizzou. I am interested in ethical fashion, sustainability, and traveling.
Jordan Thornsberry is a student at the University of Missouri-Columbia, studying magazine journalism. In her free time, Jordan likes to travel, read and catch up on the latest celebrity drama. You can find more of her writing at jordantberry.com and on social media at @jordantberry.