Fraternity Men Respond to @MizzouFratBoy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

@MizzouFratBoy is as close to being a ‘household name’ as Mizzou twitter accounts can get.  Chances are, you’ve seen someone retweet one of his musings…which generally fall into the categories of drinking, classes, Mizzou sports, and girls.  Or, you’ve seen him featured most recently on The Maneater’s MOVE Magazine.  @MizzouFratBoy is anonymous to his followers, but what do the fraternity men he ‘represents’ think of his account?  We’ve collected responses from 17 fraternities on campus (one of them gave two quotes) to this question: “Do you think your fraternity relates to @MizzouFratBoy?  Why?”  Here are their anonymous thoughts….

“the guy seems pretty normal to me. It’s kind of an attempt at #tfm, just not as edgy”

“I think it reflects me as a fraternity member, I laugh and picture the guy in (my fraternity) who would say it.”

“I don’t actually follow Mizzou frat boy on Twitter but from the tweets I’ve seen, I’d say he represents the general stereotypical college guy. There’s nothing special about him compared to the rest of college students. Guys in the ****** Chapter are a little more unique than that.”

“I don’t think it’s (the account) a realistic representation of what greeks actually are, but it is an accurate representation of what greeks want to be”

“I think he does in certain aspects but he is also pretty sterotypical, so naturally he won’t represent us accurately”

“It’s kind of like stuff we’d say and joke about but never publicly announce it.”

“No not really, it’s all stereotypical things people think of when they think of a fraternity.”

“Ya i mean it’s stereotypical and all but it’s accurate. All his tweets are either about Mizzou sports or drinking which pretty much sums up our fraternity”

“In a way I guess. I think that he represents the ideals that society appoints to Fraternity and Greek life. Some things may be true or partially representative, but also are exaggerated to fit society’s view of the typical ‘fratstar’”

“My answer is no. He is obnoxious and tries to hard to be ‘fratty’”

“It’s difficult to generalize the attitude of 100 some people, but most of the time, no. At least no more than TFM does. But with that being said, he sometimes does a good job of being a parody of how we act and portray ourselves.”

“Being ‘fratty’ is what MizzouFratBoy is about, which means “partying hard, winning sports, getting girls and wearing polo and sperrys,” essentially. I don’t think (my fraternity) represents all of that that, necessarily. We can relate to some of what MizzouFratBoy says, but not everything.”

“Mizzoufratboy can relate to our chapter in the fact that we’re all here at Mizzou for the same reason and that is to better our lives through education and the Greek community. Some of his tweets can be offensive to the older generations that are looking to hire Greek members out of college, but coming from a college student standpoint i see no offense in his tweets. They are funny and we can all relate to them.”

“I don’t know if i know anyone who’s that much of a greek stereotype but his commitment to the image is pretty impressive. i think everyone has their @mizzoufratboy moments from time to time but outgrow it pretty quickly.”

“i feel you, idk really haha i dont even follow him i would say probably not thoh” (after explaining our question more and showing him the account) “all the stuff he tweets is what we do haha as far as goin out n all the jokes n sh**”

“I only follow him because sometimes it’s pretty funny, but other times his drunken rants are annoying. But honestly he does a pretty good job of tweeting what everyone is thinking, especially during MU games and other stuff that everyone is involved in. It’s kinda cool to be able to bounce ideas off someone that is “anonymous” though. He kind of broadcasts what’s going on and has enough followers that everyone gets to know what’s happening in Greektown and at the bars because of it. So overall I find it entertaining, I don’t know who has that much time for all that but it’s pretty funny.”

“I think he’s slightly entertaining but he’s definitely trying too hard to be ‘Frat’”

“I don’t think it represents us at all. All he seems to do is b**** about stuff and argue with people all the time. At least he has in the last like 4 days”

Do you think their responses are accurate, collegiettes – why or why not?  Think you can match a quote to a fraternity?  Let us know in the comment box below!

Brooke Hofer is a senior at the University of Missouri. She is majoring in Strategic Communications through the School of Journalism while also pursuing minors in Classics, Psychology and a general Honors degree. In addition to writing for Her Campus, Brooke is an active member of Kappa Delta Sorority (Epsilon Iota chapter), Vice President of Sigma Alpha Pi, and she is a barista in the Columbia, Missouri area. Brooke loves working out, writing short stories, reading old books, and spending time with her family and friends in Kansas City. She hopes to eventually travel the world while working in the advertising or public relations industry.