Four Book to Pick Up After Watching “Love, Simon”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

If you saw “Love, Simon” this weekend, you’re probably invigorated with a newfound love of cute YA romance. It’s been a while since we’ve had one that was genuine, funny and completely groundbreaking. 

If you’re looking for some good books that have that same magic (and happy ending) coupled with LGBTQ themes, then look no further! 

Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli

If you haven’t had a chance to read the book that “Love, Simon” is based on, I would highly recommend it! Obviously the big plot points have been spoiled for you, but that will not decrease your enjoyment of the book at all. The author’s writing style is transporting, and there’s nothing quite like reading Jacques and Blue’s love letters for yourself. 

Fan Art by Sarah Tregay

Jamie is a senior in high school when he has a realization: he’s fallen in love with his best friend. It’s something all of us can relate to, falling for a friend, but a best friend? Jamie is understandably stressed because he doesn’t even know if Mason likes him and, furthermore, is he willing to risk their friendship for romance? A couple of his friends in his art class are the metaphorical fates in this story, trying to get Jamie to confess his feelings to Mason, but love is only easy when it suddenly isn’t. Pick this book up, I promise you’ll love it! 

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

It’s the 80’s. It’s Texas. El Paso, to be specific. Aristotle Mendoza is a bored teenager who is miserable and friendless. At a motel, he meets Dante Quintana, and Dante’s starry-eyed view of the world means it’s only a matter of time before Aristotle falls for him. This novel has reached universal critical acclaim status as two Mexican-American boys grow up in the 80’s and deal with issues of racial and ethnic identity, toxic masculinity, their sexuality, their family relationships and their place in the world. 

Girl Hearts Girl by Lucy Sutcliffe

This is not a fictional novel, but a memoir. When 17-year-old Lucy begins an online relationship with Kaelyn, a veterinary student in Michigan, she never thought they’d become famous. And let, after several years of long distance, the video of them meeting for the first time at the airport is posted on their YouTube channel and the whole world watches it. Sweet, funny and completely true, this isn’t one to miss! 

CC for Mizzou's chapter of Her Campus! I am currently a senior at the Missouri School of Journalism, specializing in magazine editing. Have a wonderful day, you! 
HC Contributer Mizzou