This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Now that we’ve started school, some exciting events are finally coming up: Homecoming, Halloween and headshots. If you have joined any professional organization on campus, chances are they are having a headshot event. At Mizzou, the pictures will most likely take place in front of Jesse Hall or the Columns. Headshots are not like any other picture day in middle school. There can be a lot more that goes into headshot day because now, the world outside your parents will see the picture! Here are my top five tips on how to get a headshot picture that is LinkedIn-worthy. 

1. Hydrate and Sleep Before

This is pretty self-explanatory. Make sure to get enough water and are fully hydrated so that your skin looks glowy and clear. Sleep the night before! You want to wake up the day of your headshots feeling refreshed and looking like it. 

2. Wear the Right Clothes 

You want to dress appropriately for the picture. Think about where you are going to use the headshot. If you are going to post the headshot on LinkedIn to find jobs or internships in the corporate or professional world, then I would recommend a blazer or nice dress shirt. If you want a more casual-looking headshot, then a sweater or sundress would look nice. Avoid bright or neon colors. If you plan on working for the university at any point as a student, it is worth considering wearing black and gold. 

3. Speak Up for Yourself 

Try your best to tell the photographer what you are looking for in these pictures. If you have a “best side”, tell the photographer. If you have something you want to do with your hands, tell the photographer. If you want to see the pictures to evaluate if you like them or not, tell the photographer. Obviously, do all of this within reason. But don’t be scared to ask to pose differently or adjust something if you are uncomfortable. 

4. Stop Smiling In-Between Picture Sessions

You want to keep your smile as natural as possible, so when you take a break in between pictures, STOP SMILING. I understand that it can be easy to keep the same look on your face. But you want to take a few seconds to relax your face. This way when you start smiling again, it won’t look as forced and will look more natural and friendly in the pictures. 

5. Have Confidence 

I know that headshots can be uncomfortable. Someone taking a close-up photo of just your face is not something that usually happens. So, do your best to make yourself feel calm and confident. Wear the amount of makeup that makes you feel beautiful, even if that means wearing none. Do a hairstyle that isn’t going to stress you out or make you readjust it

My last tip is definitely the most important. If you feel confident, it will shine through in your headshots and you will be on your way to acing any interview or getting any job that comes your way!

My name is Julia Canellis. I am a journalism major at the University of Missouri with hopes of attending law school. I am from Chicago, Illinois and I love playing tennis and listening to podcasts in my free time. Email: Juliacanellis10@gmail.com