This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Leftovers have never been my friend, and, frankly, cooking hasn’t ever been either. Since moving into my apartment this past year, I’ve had to adapt and fend for myself in the meal department.

So, for all you other basket cases in the kitchen, I’ve put together a list of five easy recipes that put some variety in the week while also coming close to feeling like you’re in a Tasty video.

First off, we have a classic, all-time favorite: pasta, pasta, pasta. Coming from an Italian family, this staple runs through my veins. The part I enjoy about cooking is being able to modify recipes. So, instead of using regular pasta, I’ll switch to multi-grain. I cook with olive oil, opposed to butter, and choose to throw in a nice variety of veggies. My favorites include squash, zucchini, carrots and broccoli. Tossing in chicken or shrimp is a good add-in for your protein. This recipe is quick and keeps for a few days after making.

Next up is a simple chicken recipe. I recently have developed an obsession with Thai food, specifically peanut Thai sauce. If this flavor is on the more exotic side, an easy marinade is olive oil, balsamic vinaigrette, garlic powder, salt and pepper. After I cook the chicken, which is always the most difficult part, I either throw it on some lettuce for a salad or just eat as is. A lot of times, I will microwave or bake a potato to go along with the chicken and it ends up quite delicious.

The third recipe is another one that I revert to often. If you have leftover chicken or beef and soft shell tortillas, this one is right up your alley. Who doesn’t love a good quesadilla? Throw on some lettuce and cheese with a side of sour cream or salsa, and you’ve got yourself a meal in under 10 minutes.   

The next dinner idea is extremely simple and savory. The dynamic duo of grilled cheese and tomato soup is always one that pleases. This recipe is on the more basic side but is sure to keep you full.

The fifth and final “recipe” is a pizza. Let’s be honest, by day five you’re probably proud of yourself for getting this far without hitting up a drive through, so why not celebrate with your favorite frozen pizza! Let the oven do the work, while you kick back and relax with whatever is poppin’ on Netflix.

HC Contributer Mizzou