Style > Fashion

fall fashion basics you need when you feel like you have ‘nothing to wear’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Are you having a hard time putting together outfits for the fall season? Have you ever looked in your closet full of clothes yet still feel like you have nothing to wear? Don’t worry… the transition from summer to fall can be a pretty drastic one. Since fall has officially made its entrance, it’s time to replace the shorts and sandals and break out the layers, warm colors, and texture!

Read below to learn about some must-have fall essentials to help spice up your wardrobe and eliminate the daily stress that can come with finding something to wear!

ASOS: HIGH RISE RELAXED DAD JEAN 

Denim never goes out of style. According to an article from Vogue, baggy jeans have emerged as the “Most popular denim shape of 2022”. These Relaxed Jeans ($40) from ASOS are perfect to wear for a day full of classes or to dress up for a night out.

H&M: SHORT JERSEY TOP
H&M Short Jersey Top
H&M

This basic Short Jersey Top ($10) from H&M is perfect for layering or wearing alone with jeans and some jewelry! The top comes in a variety of colors including dark gray, black, white, and beige – all appropriate colors for fall. 

AMAZON: WOMEN’S 2-PIECE SWEATSUIT SET 

You can’t go wrong with a sweatsuit! This Amazon 2 Piece Sweatsuit ($25) is so cozy. Wear it together as a set or separately with other items from your closet. 

URBAN OUTFITTERS: NEW YORK YANKEES BASEBALL HAT

Throw on this classic Yankees Baseball Hat ($29) from Urban Outfitters on those cloudy fall days to add a cool-girl and effortless vibe to your fit.

new balance: 574 sneakers

These 574 New Balance Sneakers ($85) are the perfect shoe for the fall! Not only are they comfortable to wear while walking around campus, but the neutral colors make this shoe easy to wear with a variety of different pieces from your closet. 

pull & bear: cropped puffer vest

You will fall in love with the Pull & Bear Cropped Puffer Vest ($40)! Put it over a sweatshirt or sweater to stay warm on windy fall days. To compliment neutral outfits, buy this in black or white. Go bold with the red or blue vest for a fun pop of color. 

prettylittlething: relaxed faux leather biker jacket

Okay…how cute is this oversized Belted Biker Jacket  ($39) from PLT? Leather is one of the best textures to incorporate into a fall wardrobe. It’s such a versatile texture that can be dressed up or down depending on the day and occasion.

FRANCESCA’S: HAILEY CUTOUT SWEATER MINI DRESS

Oh, the little black dress… an ultimate must-have in everyone’s closet. Check out this Cutout Sweater Mini Dress ($36) from Francesca’s. It’s the perfect dress to wear on a dinner date with friends – plus its knit texture that will keep you warm on those brisk fall nights. Cutouts have been a huge fashion trend in 2022 and are staying alive as we transition into the fall season. 

SAM EDELMAN: CHELSEA BOOTS

Chelsea boots continue to be a favorite for the fall season. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself constantly reaching for the Sam Edelman Chelsea Boots ($60). They are stylish, comfortable, and have a chunky platform. What more do you need in a shoe?

These fall fashion finds will make picking outfits for class or events a whole lot easier. A few questions to ask yourself when shopping are, “Can this be worn with various pieces I already own?” and “Could I easily dress this up and/or down?” Doing this helps prevent the stress of realizing what you just bought goes with nothing in your closet (Ugh…IYKYK).

Investing in basic pieces allows you to get the most wear out of the clothes in your closet. Remember…versatility is key!

Hey! My name is Brooklynn and I'm a junior at the University of Missouri. I love writing about entertainment, fashion, beauty, wellness, and current events! When I'm not writing, you'll find me watching reality TV or shopping online.