Style > Beauty

Everything You Need to Know About Lip Filler

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

In 2015, Kylie Jenner finally admitted to getting lip injections after months of scrutiny over her perfect and suspiciously-lined lips. It wasn’t just a good lip liner that was doing the heavy lifting for her famous pout. Since then, people have flocked to their nearest medical spas to go under the needle and achieve proportionate, plump lips, like many celebrities. Some have perhaps ventured too far; others have done just enough. But the realm of injections and fillers can be daunting and unknown to many; filled with questions like “Is it safe?” and “Where do I go?” As someone who just received their second round of filler this December, here’s what you need to know.

Is it safe?

Short answer: Yes! Most, if not all, of the common lip fillers used today, such as Restylane and Juvederm, are made from hyaluronic acid which naturally occurs in our skin and eyes. All hyaluronic acid lip fillers are FDA-approved, so there’s nothing of concern being injected. These fillers last around 6-12 months, depending on how fast your body metabolizes the filler. When it comes to who is injecting them, certified medical professionals and aesthetic nurses that specialize in non-invasive cosmetic procedures are the only people you should trust. Other fillers, such as collagen and fat, are not as safe in the sense that they’re more permanent and can’t be dissolved easily. So once you receive them, you’re stuck with them and results may vary.

The biggest side effects with lip filler are bruising, swelling, redness and soreness; all of which are expected due to the nature of the needle injection. The biggest risk is the possibility of an allergic reaction to the filler, which is almost always discussed between you and the nurse.

How to find a good place

Extensive research before booking will be your best friend. Narrow down places in your area based on client reviews through sites like Google Reviews and Yelp. Specifically, look for reviews that mention the name of the nurse and what they were like. Trust me, a long, detailed and friendly review about someone who sticks a needle into your face is better than a short, mediocre review that seems passable. Look for reviews that mention the nurse’s knowledgeability and professionalism. Once you find a name, take to social media. Social media was possibly one of the biggest factors when it came to choosing the nurse who did my filler. Oftentimes, you can find pictures of their work on Instagram or Facebook to get an idea of their skill. Once you’ve nailed down a place, book out in advance so your appointment is secure and you can see the nurse you want!

The procedure

Let me walk you through my first experience with lip filler. After sifting through reviews and testimonials galore, I settled on The Luxe Room in Denver, Co., not too far from where I’m from and found a nurse that had great reviews. The nurse was relatively new to the team, but still had great work posted on Instagram that eased my anxiety. I booked the appointment a few weeks out, put down my credit card information and began counting the days. On the day of the procedure, I honestly didn’t know what to expect (other than a big needle going into my lips within the hour). But I headed off to Denver with excitement. Upon arrival, it felt like I was walking into a chic bohemian spa run by beautiful women in scrubs. I checked in, waited and was greeted by a warm nurse who welcomed me back into her room that, once again, felt very spa-like.

Being that it was my first time, she walked me through what the filler was, how much you can do and how long it lasts. She also showed me different pictures of her work. We came up with the plan to even out the size and shape of my top lip with my bottom while plumping up both. Based on my preferences, my nurse chose 1 mL of Restylane Kysse for my filler. Fillers usually come in units of either 0.5 mL or 1 mL, and can be built upon in about two to three weeks if you find yourself wanting more. But for me, the 1 mL was enough. After 20 minutes of sitting with heavy duty numbing cream slathered around my mouth, I was ready to go. I leaned back, and instinctually closed my eyes when I saw a sharp object approach my face. What came next felt like a miniature bee sting that only got stronger for a few seconds. Now, just imagine that repeated about 20-30 times. Prepare for your eyes to water and a few tears to roll down your temples.

Besides the poking and prodding, there’s a lot of shaping as well. Nurses will often take their fingers after they do an injection in one area and shape the filler so that it will settle correctly and smoothly. On top of this, there’s a lot of bloody gauze involved. A lot. But one hour later, I found my still-numb lips being cleaned and protected with liquid bandage and moistened with Aquaphor ointment. We snapped a couple of pictures, and that was it! But then came the real painful part: the grand total for the procedure. In full transparency, both my first and second lip filler procedures cost $600, not including tip. Is it an investment? Yes. Is it worth it? That’s for you to decide.

The results and aftercare

Seven months later, I found myself back in the same nurse’s chair, numbing cream on, only this time instead of jeans I wore sweatpants and made no big deal out of it. My filler from the first appointment had pretty much dissolved and my lips were back to their original size. But this time, it felt like any other random appointment in my schedule, and the nurse felt more like a friend than some cold medical professional. And after my first time, I could see why I knew I was going to go back.

I will admit, the swelling is brutal for the first 24 hours and reminded me of what Bratz dolls look like with their lips super big and glossy. The pain was minimal; just tenderness and soreness that was easily cured with a couple of Tylenol. Lucky for me, after dropping $600, they at least gave me a free ice pack. Score! The next day, the swelling had pretty much dissipated and small purple bruises began to surface around the entry wounds. My Aquaphor tube became glued to my pocket, and I tried my best not to touch my lips while they healed. By the third day, all that was left were the bruises. I could finally see the results of the filler and fell in love with the natural-looking pout I had received. A week later, you could hardly tell I had been stuck with a needle at all. I was finally able to swipe a tube of lipstick over my top lip and not feel self-conscious.

Sydney Scalia is a junior at the University of Missouri studying Journalism with a minor in Italian. She specializes in writing pieces about fashion and style, fitness, lifestyle, and culture such as travel, entertainment, and social media.