Summer Girl Hawaii Swimsuit Walking Water Cool
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Style > Fashion

Ethical Swimsuit Brands for the Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Goodbye skies of gray, hello skies of blue! With the start of summer here, that means tanning by the pool, weekends at the lake and beach vacations. All reasons to buy swimsuits! Shopping for swimsuits can be complicated sometimes when it comes to price, size inclusivity, coverage or sustainability. Searching for ethical swimwear can be even more difficult, which is often why many shoppers choose fast fashion alternatives. Shopping fast fashion can be tempting, especially when it comes to swimsuits, but most of the swimwear from these particular brands are not made to last and are produced using cheap materials. If you’re on the hunt for swimsuits that are worth every dollar and flatter every body type, I’ve compiled a list of some amazing ethical brands and my personal favorite pieces!

RJ Swim

This swimsuit company is based in Brooklyn, N.Y. and is Black-owned. You may recognize their famous tie-dye bikinis with matching lowrise skirts. Their designs were replicated by fast fashion companies (such as AliExpress) that are known to knock off small businesses, but RJ Swim is the original designer of these bikinis. The company currently offers swimsuits ready to be shipped and swimsuits made to order.

My favorites: Stella String Top, Stella String Thong Bottom, Stella Mini Skirt 

437

437 was created with “real women with real bodies” in mind. They are known for their luxe swimwear made of a soft, polyester-spandex blend with a double-layered seamless design for a curve-hugging fit. The brand’s owners are in close contact with their manufacturer to ensure fair treatment and wages. Their garments are produced in China in a female-run factory. 

My favorites: The Sanders Top, The Sanders Bottoms, The Kenzie Top, The Aubrey Bottoms

Quatre

This brand focuses on minimal design for timeless pieces. Their swimwear is handmade in a small studio, and Quatre is transitioning towards more sustainable practices. They believe in reducing waste so they produce in small batches based on demand. 

My favorites: Launch 002 Top, Launch 002 Bottom

Applod

Applod is a Colombian swimwear brand with an emphasis on sustainability. For being an ethical brand, their prices are definitely on the lower-cost side. They have multiple different styles with fun prints and colors. 

My favorites: Bikini Triangles Red Top, Bikini Triangles Red Bottom, Bikini Obsession Blue Eyes Top, Bikini Obsession Blue Eyes Bottom

Everlane

Everlane is a well known, ethical fashion company, and recently they released a swim collection. From a one piece to full coverage bottoms, Everlane has more modest swimsuits compared to other brands. Their swim line comes in a variety of colors featuring one print for the ability to mix and match.

My favorites: The Bikini Bottom, The Square-Neck Bikini Top

Hi! My name’s Makenna and I’m currently studying textile and apparel management at Mizzou. I am interested in ethical fashion, sustainability, and traveling.