Eat This Not That: Dining Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

With their tantalizing aromas and mouthwatering tastes, it can be hard to stop throwing the sweetest, cheesiest and most savory foods down our gullets. But sometimes you might unnecessarily pass up your favorite treats for high-calorie dishes disguised as healthy options. Her Campus Mizzou is here to help you avoid these truly unfortunate taste bud tragedies. In the first of many posts, we’ll focus on what to eat when you’re out and about in Columbia. Stay tuned for more food-swapping tips, including those for desserts and drinks.

·    Move over chicken because at Pickleman’s, beef is what’s for dinner. Choosing Pickleman’s juicy Italian Beef on white over the Asiago Chicken Club on white will save you 451 calories. Even if you add cheese, the Beef still weighs in at 270 calories less than the Asiago Chicken Club.  

·     Noodles & Company’s Pesto Cavatappi is actually better than the Pad Thai with organic tofu. In fact picking the Pesto rather than the Pad Thai will save you 140 calories.

·     Thinking IHOP’s Strawberry Banana Pancakes will count as your serving of fruit for the day? Think again. Go for the decadent Chocolate Chip Pancakes instead. They’re like dessert for breakfast, and the chocolaty choice will save you 40 calories.

·     Olive Garden’s Spaghetti and Italian Sausage actually has 180 more calories than the Chicken Parmigiana, which is breaded chicken covered with melted mozzarella and perfectly seasoned marinara sauce. I know what you’re thinking – how in the world are we getting away with this one?

·     Kicking off turkey day a little bit early with a Turkey Burger from Fuddruckers? Pick the Bacon Cheddar Burger for 51 fewer calories and infinitely more taste.

Vanessa Meuir is senior majoring in magazine journalism and English. She was born in St. Louis, MO and raised in Columbia, MO where she now attends school. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus Mizzou, she works in Mizzou's athletics department and serves as a writing tutor for students on campus. She has gained most of her journalistic experience while writing and blogging for the Columbia Missourian, a local newspaper, and Vox magazine, a student-run campus magazine. She also gained some publishing experience while interning at The Missouri Review, a literary magazine. When Vanessa is not working or in class, she enjoys maintaining a personal blog that comments on reality television, spending time with her five roommates, reading and dabbling in amateur photography. Among her favorite things are diet coke, The Lord of the Rings trilogy, the Disney Channel and fuzzy socks.