Day vs. Night Makeup Looks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

It seems like the older we get, the less time we have and the more people we have to impress. Our day starts at 8 a.m., ends at midnight and in between we’re busy with meetings, work, class, etc. It’s important to look presentable at all times of the day, but it’s not always realistic to take an extreme amount of time to do so. Going from a subtle daytime look to a dramatic nighttime look can be time-consuming and messy if you’re using too many color palettes to achieve the right combination.

Ulta Prestige, Megan Gaboda shows us the perfect fall eye color palette that has every tone you could need for the day or night. It’s one palette with earthy fall tones, both matte and illuminating.

Day

Eyes
To achieve this look, use the “Naked” eye shadow palette by Urban Decay. Use “Smog” on the outer half of the eye-lid and “Sin” to highlight the below-the-brow and inner corner of the eye areas. After applying your eyeliner, apply “Dark Horse” along the lash line. Going over your eyeliner with a dark shadow will hold the eyeliner in place and keep it from wearing off throughout the day. Finish this look off with mascara.

Lips
Smashbox’s “Pixel” is a subtle pink lip color that isn’t too dramatic for the day. Pale pinks, classic nudes, and light chestnut browns are best for daytime lip color.

Cheeks
“Blush Rush” by Smashbox is the perfect color for Maddie’s skin tone. Find one that’s right for you and apply on the cheekbone. Smile while you apply your blush so you’re sure to get those apples.

Night

Eyes
Using the same eye shadow palette, apply “Smog” all over the eyelid and “Creep” for the corners and outside crease. Make sure to blend, blend, blend! Use “Sin” to highlight the area under the brow bone and inner corners of the eye. Finish the look with a dark liner and mascara.

Lips
Don’t be afraid to mix colors! Maddie is modeling a mixture of Smashbox’s “Starlit” and “Fig.”

Cheeks
Apply heavier blush, but this time contour your face by applying below the blush you already have on. It helps to make the “kissy” face and apply where your cheeks bones appear. Never go above this point. Add bronzer over this for a more dramatic look.