CoMo Winter To-Do List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.
Now that the weather is getting colder, it’s easy to cuddle up on the couch with a warm blanket and hot chocolate every night. This winter, instead of watching every episode of The Real Housewives, try a few of these fun activities in Columbia.

Go see the Magic Tree
Since it first started in 1995, the Magic Tree has been a favorite place to visit and take holiday pictures. Head on over to the Village of Cherry Hill and visit the tree in its new location on Scott Boulevard. Created by Columbia’s own Will Treelighter, a visit to this beautiful tree is the perfect way to get in the holiday spirit.

See The Nutcracker
An old holiday favorite is going to see The Nutcracker with the family. This year, why not see it with your friends from school? The old classic will come to Jesse Hall this Saturday, Dec. 3. Tickets can be purchased online at concertseries.org or at the box office.

Walk around the Living Windows Festival
Bundle up and get ready for a winter stroll. On Friday, Dec. 2, stores downtown will take out their displays and replace them with plays. Between 6 p.m. and 8 p.m., The District will be filled with open houses, strolling carolers, holiday treats and even visits from Santa.

Ice skate at Stephen’s Lake Park
You might have gone for a swim in Stephen’s Lake on a hot summer afternoon, but during the winter it’s open for ice skating. You must bring your own skates, so either borrow from a friend or buy a cheap pair from a resale sports store. The city checks the lake on weekdays; look out for a sign telling you it’s safe. Then feel free to take to the ice and work on all of your Ice Princess tricks.

Go ice fishing at Cosmo-Bethel Lake
There is always time to try something new, right? Grab your dad’s old fishing gear and head down to Cosmo-Bethel Park for a day at the lake. Once again, make sure to check the signs around the lake, so you know that the ice has been inspected.

Lindsay Roseman is a senior at the University of Missouri, studying magazine journalism and Spanish. In Columbia, she is a member of Kappa Alpha Theta women's fraternity, Mizzou For Malawi Steering Committee, and can be spotted on campus touring potential Journalism School-ers. This Chicago native loves a good Jodi Picoult book, trying new foods, traveling, and hitting the pavement for a run. After reporting for the school newspaper and interning in her hometown, she spent the summer in NYC at Women's Health Magazine and now is so excited for a great year with HC Mizzou!