Captain Marvel: Take That, Misogynists!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

Captain Marvel has already drawn in $541 million worldwide, making it the second highest-grossing movie of this year, and it’s just getting started.

When I sat down to watch it on opening weekend (yes, it was extremely crowded, thank you for asking), I wasn’t sure what to expect. I had high hopes, and I was worried about what would happen if the first female-led Marvel film flopped; how far would this set everything back? Would it prove all the gatekeeping fanboys right? Would Carol Danvers get cast to the side? 

I must admit, the origin story of Carol Danvers started out pretty rocky. She’s a kree soldier with serious amnesia, and Jude Law is there for some reason. It was confusing, and I say that as a pretty hardcore MCU fan who had a good grasp on Carol’s storyline going into the movie’s storyline. 

However, by the end of it, I was back. on. board. The third act was heartfelt, inspiring and complex. It had a lot of compelling storylines, and I loved seeing how Carol discovered herself, the essence of who she is and what she wants to do with her powers, by the end of the movie. 

The relationship she has with Marie Rambeau is fantastic, and I am so excited to see how her daughter Monica will grow up because I’m sure she will play a big role in Avenders: Endgame. 

Though it was immensely satisfying to see misogynistic men get upset over Captain Marvel’s success, the main emotion I’m feeling is excitement. I am so excited that this younger generation of girls gets to see a female-led superhero film like Captain Marvel, and that they can aspire to not only live their lives like Carol, but to create stories like hers. 

CC for Mizzou's chapter of Her Campus! I am currently a senior at the Missouri School of Journalism, specializing in magazine editing. Have a wonderful day, you!