Campus Celeb: Ceara Kirkpatrick

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mizzou chapter.

This week’s Campus Celeb is junior journalism major Ceara Kirkpatrick! Originally from Nebraska, Ceara has taken Mizzou by storm. Not only does she run a photography business and a blog, but she also is the president of Chi Omega, a member of RAMS and is involved in tons of great organizations on campus. Check out more about Ceara and her hopes for the future!

HCM: Why did you decide to come Mizzou and pursue a journalism degree?

Ceara Kirkpatrick: My senior year of high school was when I realized that I wanted to pursue journalism in college. I was the editor-in-chief of my high school yearbook, was involved in speech, and really loved communicating with people and telling their stories. I visited lots of colleges, but Mizzou’s campus and its reputable journalism school kept standing out to me. I was really torn between Mizzou and Auburn, but the journalism school was my deciding factor, and is the reason I’m at Mizzou today!

HCM: You’ve owned a photography business for five years now. What originally interested you about photography?

Ceara Kirkpatrick: When I was a sophomore in high school, one of my friends was in a digital imaging class. I would go with her to shoot her projects and even sometimes model for her. I really became interested in photography through her and seeing how you could interpret and portray people and emotions in different ways through a photo. After witnessing photography through others, I wanted to be the one behind the camera. I went head first and bought myself a starter Canon camera and have been taking photos ever since! My next gig is in two weeks – I’m shooting a destination wedding in Maui! I am so honored to have people who trust me to document some of the most important and beautiful moments in their lives!

HCM: You recently started a blog. What made you want to start blogging?

Ceara Kirkpatrick: Being a photographer, I take pictures of way too many things. My phone has 11,000 pictures on it, I have a laptop that is almost completely full, and hard drives full of clients and my own personal photos. I take all of these random pictures and then never post them –  they would just sit on my computer! I decided to start a blog to make myself share more of my work – my work outside of the photography business. All the pictures I post are from personal memories from my life – adventures, beauty, fashion, and photography are a few of my favorite things and are topics I talk about on my page!

HCM: What is your dream job after college? Would you like to keep pursuing photography?

Ceara Kirkpatrick: My dream job is to combine my passions of photography, social media and travel to create content for a company for their social media, website, etc. I would love to travel the world on the mission of creating content for a particular brand or company. Whether that be documenting international events or repping their clothing on a road-trip throughout the U.S., I would love to see myself living a life with a camera always in my hand!

HCM: Are you involved in anything else on campus? If so, what?

Ceara Kirkpatrick: I am! I am the president of Chi Omega, which is home to over 300 amazing women here at Mizzou. I am a member of the Rocking Against Multiple Sclerosis Steering Committee, and we just recently raised over $86,500 for the MS Institute of Mid-Missouri. I am the Head of Production for Mizzou’s National Student Advertising Competition Team, where I create video and photo content for an advertising campaign. Additionally, I serve as the Marketing Director for the MSA/GPC Box Office, where I promote concerts and events happening at The Blue Note or on campus! My schedule is definitely packed, but I seriously love every organization that I’m involved with and the people I get to meet along the way! They make it all worth it!