Campus Celeb: Allison Frappier

Our first campus celeb of this semester is Allison Frappier, a sophomore from Columbia, Mo! Allison is an animal science major with a minor in captive wild animal management. Allison has a love for animals and has been dog training since she was 9! She has three dogs, Kasey, Chip and Nike that she competes in agility, rally and obedience with. She also won Best Junior Handler at the Missouri State Fair Dog Show.  Check out more about Allison! 

Her Campus Mizzou: What brought you to Mizzou and what lead you to want to study animal sciences?

Allison Frappier: I decided to attend Mizzou because I heard great things about the animal science program and not every school offers it.  I've always had a passion for animals and an interest in science and medicine.  I grew up around agriculture, so I thought studying animal science would be the perfect fit!  

HCM: Why/when did you start dog training?

AF: I started dog training through 4-H when I was 9 years old, so 11 years ago.  I saw other 4-Hers my age training their dogs and I thought it looked like a lot of fun, so I convinced my family to adopt a dog from the Central Missouri Humane Society.  

HCM: What's the most valuable thing you have learned from dog training?

AF: One of the most valuable things I have learned from dog training and showing is humility.  You can practice and practice and your dog can know everything there is to know, but once you get out there, you never know what they are going to do.  Hundreds of people could be watching your dog act like it knows nothing after you put in hours of training.  I also learned better communication skills because you are trying to tell someone that doesn't speak your language and isn't even the same species as you what you want them to do.  Of course, I also learned responsibility.

HCM: What is your dream job?

AF: Someday I hope to be a veterinarian so I can keep animals safe and healthy and help give a voice to the animals that do not have one.

HCM: Are you involved with anything else here on campus? If so, what?

AF: I'm a member of Sigma Kappa sorority, Vice President and Service Chair of Collegiate 4-H, a member of Mizzou College Republicans, and a member of MU Pre-Vet Club!